Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Im new to this. I am 33 yrs old and only in about the last few yrs I have suffered from social anxiety ( I think anyway) What happens is if I have to be around others ( party, bbq, dinners, etc) I get very nervous can be months in advance thinking about it. When I get into the situation I feel like I am shaking, twitching and just nervous in general. So its very physical. I don't go out in social situations unless I absolulty have to. I dread having to go out with my husband when work functions come up! I really don't have any friends either bc I have declined invites to events. On top of it, I don't even want to set up play dates for my kids bc I would have to talk to other moms. Uhhh. I hate this. I haven't spoken with a dr. yet, but I wanted to see if this was social anxiety from you all and if there is anything I can take that is natural to help this. Any other techniques to help me overcome this? Any info really Im looking for!

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi chicagogal33,
How are you doing?
I'm new too and have been suffering from SA for a long time.
Anyway, I've decreased the severity of it over the years and let me tell you it's not easy!
But the BEST thing that helped me get rid of most of my SA (and you won't like this) was overexposure! Just like someone with a phobia of spiders, you have to get out there and face all the freaking spiders in the world till you feel NOTHING. You might feel depressed and frustrated occasionally but it's the ONLY WAY. So tie up the laces on your strong boots and good luck to ya! ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Also fiddling with something e.g. Playing with your phone, gripping something in your hands, training your mind to be occupied with ANYTHING but negative thoughts helps...

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, ChicagoGal33! :)

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Welcome! Hope you find what you're looking for. If you need someone to talk to about (insert topic), feel free to msg me at any time.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Chicagogal33 welcome. :hyper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts