Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. My name is Nickie & I'm 28. I always had a touch of social anxiety, but got great at controlling it in my early to late 20s. Then I moved from CT to here in North Carolina. I only knew my now husband. I did okay with it for the most part, then we relocated from the mountains to the Charlotte area. And it's worse than ever. I'm okay with one on one but only if they are more inclined to talk first. I occasionally have days where I can be the aggressor, but that's few & far between.

Lately, it's gotten really bad. My husband is super outgoing. He met some local car guys ( I'm a car girl also) & we met up with them. I was nervous & excited but ready. Then they all showed up, we said our hellos & then none of the wives of the car guys said a word to me (they're all sister in laws). I about cried 3x & just sat there quietly. My husband tried to get me to open up but he just made it worse (to me anyways). We are supposed to hang out with them again Wednesday & I'm terrified I'll be a clam. I feel like my husband is so happy & himself with them & I feel like I'm looking into it from the outside, & I feel so alone.

Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Nickie. I'm new here too. There's a bit of a age/life experience gap between us, so I don't how great any advice I'd give you would be. I think I do understand your experience of going to a social gathering and feeling like you're looking in from the outside. I was a kid who used to hide and cry at their own birthday parties. :rolleyes:

Anyways, it's nice to meet you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Nice to meet you as well! And age is just a number! If you ever need any advice, I'd be more than willing to try & help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure how to help in this particular situation but I understand it. I think I tend to overcompensate in these cases. I talk/share too much, make weird jokes and end up as "the weird friend" (Literally how one of my friends introduced me to her boyfriend. I was so embarrassed.)

If you're going to be spending time with these people regularly maybe start out slow? I know it's hard to interact with new people. If a subject comes up that you feel comfortable and confident about jump on it.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, nickielg! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts