Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, my name is Heather, I am new on here. I have not been to the doctor about this, but I am pretty sure that I have Social Anxiety. I've dealt with it ever since I can remember ,but here lately I'm getting sick of it, I just want it to go away. When I was in school and I had to present a project and while I was waiting I would just start shaking and my hands got so sweaty it i put them on a piece of paper on my desk, the sweat would go through the paper. I can't start conversations with people, unless it's CLOSE family. Whenever I go around my husbands family, I am terrified, my hands sweat like crazy, I don't say ANYTHING, I don't know where to look or what to say, and I shake like crazy. Even if I'm talking to someone online I still shake and my heart pounds and my hands get sweaty. I'm so tired of it. I just want to be able to not be so afraid of people. What are things that I can do to help with these problems, other than medications?
any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks,
heather

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Firstly welcome aboard!

Sounds like you definitely suffer symptoms of SA. What helped me a lot was gradual exposure therapy where I would very gradually expose myself to my feared situations step by step and ease my way into feeling more comfortable. There is also CBT therapy (cognitive behavioral therapy) which is very helpful and has been excellent for a lot of people. If you can seek therapy I would suggest those.

Otherwise just talking to those close to you about the problems you have and how you feel can help, though a lot of the time it can be hard for them to understand what you are going through.

Anyway I hope you can find good help here and make progress towards feeling less anxious in these situations!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. yeah others that don't suffer from it have NO IDEA what it feels like. My husband is totally opposite ,so he is always saying JUST talk it's not that hard, but it is, very hard.

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Hi there and welcome! something you might want to try is looking into CBT, this can help. CBT for Dummies might be worth a look, I've been working with this a bit, and scour the forum - you'll find lots of useful tidbits.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Heather, welcome to :sas

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi

Hi Heather. I'm luisa. I'm also new here. I have not ben diagnosed either but I really fel I have it. I've been doing a lot of research on it. I'm sick of it too. Sick of feeling like this.
I pretty much just can't talk to people unless I really know them. I'll be in a shop and a stranger well say hi and I'll just stand there staring at them wanting to say hi back and I'll be shaking and feeling sick and I'll want to run away but I won't be able to move.
Then I'll feel Embrassed for not being able to say hi.
I think I know what you mean about not knowing where to look. I can't look at people when I talk to them no matter how much I know them hi'm sorry to hear you also find it hard to talk to people online. But you did great posting this message.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, SmithH1989! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts