Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I am new to this so I decided I would say hello. I am looking for support from people who understand me. It is awful feeling all alone. I pretty much just self diagnosed myself with SAD today after doing research. I am just tried of feeling this way.

I am 29 (today is my bday) and over the past 2 years have felt more and more anxious in social situations- especially at work. I am an oncology nurse. I love taking care of others but lately have felt on stage all the time especially around my co-workers. I get embarrassed all the time! My face turns bright red and I feel so stupid. The more it happens the more anxiety I feel. So today everyone was wishing me a happy bday which of course made me feel the center of attention and embarrassed. Does anyone else get embarrassed on their bday? Something is wrong with me!

Also I am pregnant- which only leads to more attention which I HATE. Everyone wants to ask me questions and touch my belly (which I can't stand!!!!) Don't they understand that makes me uncomfortable?!?

Ok so I guess I am pretty much just venting to whoever is out there. I have cried most of the day (which is totally not like me) but today has been awful. I just feel stupid and like a freakin idiot.

Who knows what I can do to help me cope. I have looked into getting some self help books- what are good ones?

·
planning relocation
714 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad day. Cant recommend any books because i havent read any but can offer some insight. People who dont suffer from anxiety are pretty much retards when it comes to seeing it and dealing with it, they dont relize the more attention they pay,that they are actually making it worse. The best help you can get is from those who have it as well

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey jeangirl, welcome and Happy B-Day! :yay

·
Registered
60 Posts
at least you celebrate birthdays. I remember on my 21st birthday my *** was in bed by like 8pm. No fun one bit.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Coffee me.
444 Posts
Welcome!

I can relate to the embarassment over birthdays....my family makes a big deal of everyones, mine included. I really dislike all the attention being on me...especially if you have to open a gift infront of someone.

I can also relate to unwanted attention during pregnancy...I didn't have much of a problem with touching, since most people know I don't like to be touched, and anyone that did want to "feel the kicks", I would tell them the baby wasn't active but I would let them know when he starts up (which I never would do haha).

Luckily though, once your baby is born, you will stop recieving any attention and it will all be focussed on your little one. That happened to me immediately. Such a relief.

Congrats on the pregancy as well!

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Congratulations on the expecting, and welcome.

I'd recommend CBT for Dummies and the workbook that goes with it.

As far as i can tell, CBT seems to be the most effective method for dealing with SA, though for some, medication seems to be necessary - which isn't an option for you right now. So, I'd give the CBT a try - but with the caution that it needs a lot of time and effort from you, lots of practice, which may also not be an option right now, as it is stressful.

However, after your baby comes, that will be stressful too, so there will never be an ideal time to start tackling SA. So, one way you can look at it is to take little steps now - only do what you can handle. for example, one of my anxiety producing situations was ordering a drink at a bar. So, I started with this because while a challenge, I felt it was something I could do, because it is really a very simple first step. After the first time I managed to do it, she recommended that I do it again until I felt really comfortable with it.

You could also start with something like this. Tackle all situations that are on the same anxiety level, even if it only rates, say, a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. That way, you WILL be taking steps to deal with the problem, as doing nothing will most likely make you feel worse. And, it is not uncommon for parents with SA to put pressure on themselves to "change" for the sake of their children, to suddenly become something different.

Also, as your child grows, you will be surprised at what you can do in order to do right by them and to protect them. Chin up, you can do it.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, JeanGirl! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts