Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm 23 y/o male originally from california. I've been dealing with SA and depression for about a year. I'd like to meet some people here who've shared similar experiences, especially if you are in the D.C. area (been here for about a year). Feel free to drop me a line!

Edit:

So here's why I joined this forum.

I wasn’t always socially anxious. Weird enough, a lot of people would say that I am one of the most social people they know. My problem is that I go through periods of intense social withdrawal and I suffer a lot from it. I’d really like to know if anyone here has experienced something similar or has an idea of what is going on with me.

I started getting depressed near the end of my senior year in college (which is a separate thing altogether), but the point is that being depressed got me looking hard at what was making me unhappy. One of the things I realized was that I become very self-conscious that people are judging me during certain social situations. The more I think about it the more I feel that I am socially inept and the worse I feel when I don’t fit in with people. Then for a while I’ll just stop talking to anyone. Basically, I became super sensitive about any kind of social rejection.

The funny thing is, I never felt socially anxious before I became depressed, nor did I ever feel as self-conscious socially. I’ve lived in California all my life and I just moved to D.C. 10 months ago, where I’ve become a lot more socially withdrawn. I’m not sure if it’s because of depression or a different social scene, but all the time I feel like the people I meet are judgmental and trying to prove that they’re better than me. My self-esteem has taken a big hit since I moved, partly because I’ve had a hard time socially here and partly because I feel like I’ve forgotten how to be social with people. And I think about this stuff all the time, which makes it worse.

I’ve been in psychotherapy for a few months now and I just started taking anti-depressants about a week ago. I think it’s been helping since it seems like I brood about this stuff less and am willing to deal with social situations a little bit better. But if I feel rejected or that someone thinks they’re better than me, it still bothers me a lot. Do I have SA, low self-esteem, depression, a combination, or am I normal and just overreacting?

·
Lost
275 Posts
Hey, welcome to :sas hope the site helps you :)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Welcome analysisparalysis. I like the name.

I would be very interested to hear your story if you care/decide to tell it at some point. I've also been dealing with SA for about the same length of time.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Jess :wels

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, AnalysisParalysis! :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hello and welcome! I've been in California my whole life. What made you leave? I'd really like to leave and experience different places.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I feel like my have had similar experiences to yours, analysisparalysis.

I also used to be quite a social butterfly. In fact, all through my elementary, middle and high school days I was the one who called my friends up and invited them around to do things. Everyone said I threw the best parties (in fact, I still throw a good party, but I find that I do it much less often because it stresses me out and makes me so anxious).

However, I can pinpoint the trigger to my social anxiety a little. There was a point in my senior year when a couple in my core group of friends stopped talking to me. I've never known their reason for sure, but this eventually led to myself loosing touch with the majority of my life-long friends. It was devastating.

I would imagine moving to a new place would have a similar impact on someone with SAD, as you basically must start over by building new relationships with new people. This is one of the most difficult things for me.

I find it helpful to hear from people who have similar experiences to my own, or at least who understand what I'm going through.

Welcome to SAS. I haven't been here long, but I think it's really going to help me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts