Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm a 43 year old guy who has been cursed with this horrible disorder. I am not really a shy or timid guy, I enjoy meeting new people and social activities. My problem is the severe physical symptoms that I experience in certain stressful situations. For me...public speaking is completely out of the question. I can barely introduce myself in a group setting without severe anxiety and any type of confrontation, even minor stuff, (collecting past due rent, confronting a neighbor about a problem) causes me allot of anxiety and noticeable physical symptoms. I have avoided taking continuing education classes that could advance my career simply because of the fear I have of standing in front of a group and introducing myself. As I said earlier...I am not a timid person, and would not be afraid of these things if I could control my physical symptoms of anxiety (shaking, dry mouth, heart racing, words won't come out, etc.). I have tried antidepressants, xanax without much success. So...here I am hoping for some HELP.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
"Buy a dinghy, and call her Dignity" ;)

Hello and welcome!
still awake Madison_Rose? :)

i'm sure if you look around here and settle yourself down nicely on the forum, that you will find what you are looking for, and rid yourself of your "curse".
best of luck, and we are all here for you ^_^

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey deaconblue :wels

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey, I think I'm kind of like you. I really don't consider myself to be super-shy, it's just that in some situations (introductions, presentations, confrontations etc.) I experience intense anxiety forcing me to avoid these situations altogether. I was thinking of trying something called beta-blockers. Propranolol is a common one I keep hearing about. Beta-blockers prohibit adrenaline from working it's magic on you so you don't get the heart palpitations, shortness of breath as bad. Musicians will sometimes use beta-blockers before a performance so they can focus on their instrument and not the effects of stage fright. It might be something to ask your doctor about. Google it and see what you think. Hope this helps...

·
Registered
523 Posts
Hey, I think I'm kind of like you. I really don't consider myself to be super-shy, it's just that in some situations (introductions, presentations, confrontations etc.) I experience intense anxiety forcing me to avoid these situations altogether. I was thinking of trying something called beta-blockers. Propranolol is a common one I keep hearing about. Beta-blockers prohibit adrenaline from working it's magic on you so you don't get the heart palpitations, shortness of breath as bad. Musicians will sometimes use beta-blockers before a performance so they can focus on their instrument and not the effects of stage fright. It might be something to ask your doctor about. Google it and see what you think. Hope this helps...
Welcome :)
I'm the same way. I'm good in small, informal things. Well not completely natural at first but I warm up eventually - it's not debilitating by any means. But larger, professional settings scare the [email protected] out of me! I didn't want to take any meds on a regular basis so I did get propranolol since you only take it before such a situation. I didn't find it work for me - but that's just me - I've heard lots of great stories from others. (I am usually pretty lucky lol)
Anyway enjoy your stay. Everyone is super nice and supportive.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
Thanks everybody....I really hate taking meds at all....but may consider it if it is the only option.
it's not the only option!! there's always 2 sides to a stone. or summat like that. so far, medication has been pointless for me, so i'm seeing the doctor about therapy next week (seeing a councillor, but again, a tad useless for me). not sure what therapy would be best for you to try. but, like medication, people respond to each type in different ways. so keep your options open, and look around. ask your doctor what is available (both meds and therapy (technically, it's all therapy...)).
all the best! :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel to :sas

You mention trying Xanax. What dose? Often times benzo failure is due to a dosage that is simply too small.

Then there is I who prove that it's possible to take 10 mg of Xanax daily and still get only minimal benefit.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, DeaconBlue! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts