Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello ladies and gents

I'm Dez, 29 year old woman from Iowa.
I have had social anxiety from my teens.

I was in an abusive/dysfunctional family. I am a highschool dropout because I was so strongly disliked by my peers that I eventually shut down.
I have since received a full education and will complete my Bachelors degree this fall. So I hope to have a happy ending to this story.

I have had periods of time (usually a month or so) where I "shut in". Things like computer games and online chat can sometimes feed into my social phobia because I don't have to leave the house to feel like I'm "living". It's been a couple of years since this has occurred.

I am dating a man who can't possibly begin to understand my issues. Despite our deep conversations it's puzzling to him why I get nervous being introduced to his friends and family.
My anxiety manifests itself in many ways. I am controlling of how people operate in my life. I get nervous, irritable and talk too much.
I recently realized that I'm also a codependent and feel that there is a strong connection between the two disorders.

I began taking Xanax the other day. I know it's a short term solution, but I haven't felt this good in awhile. I'd like to learn some other coping strategies to avoid a possible dependency on the pill.

Thank you for reading this.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Dez, welcome to :sas

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
Welcome.

My husband (who is also very shy) has tried to explain to his mother how extremely shy I am. It seems it is just impossible for a natural extrovert like her to understand what this thing is, and how it affects the sufferer. I am afraid there is no answer to that. At least, not that I've found.

Bravo to you for completing your education. That is amazing. I am about to try again at the age of 45.

I have just started CBT. I've done my own research into all the various therapies, medications, natural remedies, and so forth out there, and I've ordered Dr. Richards's CBT Cds. after listening to these, I feel that short of medication (which I don't regard as a permanent fix), CBT is the best solution I've been able to find.
Leo

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hello ladies and gents

I'm Dez, 29 year old woman from Iowa.
I have had social anxiety from my teens.

I was in an abusive/dysfunctional family. I am a highschool dropout because I was so strongly disliked by my peers that I eventually shut down.
I have since received a full education and will complete my Bachelors degree this fall. So I hope to have a happy ending to this story.

I have had periods of time (usually a month or so) where I "shut in". Things like computer games and online chat can sometimes feed into my social phobia because I don't have to leave the house to feel like I'm "living". It's been a couple of years since this has occurred.

I am dating a man who can't possibly begin to understand my issues. Despite our deep conversations it's puzzling to him why I get nervous being introduced to his friends and family.
My anxiety manifests itself in many ways. I am controlling of how people operate in my life. I get nervous, irritable and talk too much.
I recently realized that I'm also a codependent and feel that there is a strong connection between the two disorders.

I began taking Xanax the other day. I know it's a short term solution, but I haven't felt this good in awhile. I'd like to learn some other coping strategies to avoid a possible dependency on the pill.

Thank you for reading this.
Hi Dez.

As I said in a post just the other day:

"It seems almost impossible for people who don't suffer from it to understand SA/shyness."

The more I read about shy/SA people and their experiences, the more that statement is borne out.

Welcome to the group.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Hi Dez, glad you've joined :) I know you'll find lots of great help and support here.

Its great that you've overcome the problems you've faced in life and got your education. Good luck in achieving your Bachelors Degree, that really is a great achievement.

I also know how hard it is to make people understand what is like to have social anxiety. I really think that unless you have suffered from it yourself, you can't possibly begin to understand how hard it can make life. I would love to find a way of making it clear to people exactly what it is like to be this way, but however much I try to explain, they still think you can just snap out of it. Even if your partner can't fully understand your issues, i'm sure he supports you nonetheless.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
784 Posts
Sounds like you have a good grasp on your situation and you've moving in the right direction. Hope to see more of your posts.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, IGotProblems! :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome to the site, IGotProblems! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts