Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on klonopin, 5 years PRN. Still works wonders. Main issue is that, to to the rest of the world, a week is 7 days not 3-4. Never take it more than 4-5 days in a row, and by then I'm exhausted.

Due to moving a few times, and some bad docs, I'm facing challenges in getting even my low dose (1mg PRN) maintained. Last pdoc wouldn't even prescribe it (yet he gave me free samples of 400mg Seroquel and unlimited refills). Latest doc, tell her about a whole new life in 5 years, pretty much says cool story bro in 5 more you'll have dementia here's some buspar.

Took it for a week, as expected, no effect whatsoever, not even anxiety. Pharmacy had to order the full tab but gave me 7 days worth, I never refilled them and not sure if I will.

I'm one of those atypical cases... have taken every SSRI, SNRI, S??RI, ritalin, off-label use of anti-convulsants and anti-psychotics (doc should have warned me, of course the anxiety would go away completely, who could worry about petty things like social situations when walking and breathing are a struggle?). I have little faith in Buspar, only reason I filled it is because it's not an SSRI and is described as a straight anxiolitic.

But I've been down the road before. Several red flags went off right away:
1. doc didn't bother to describe what the hell it actually does (not a whole lot is my guess, so no point)
2. Not a controlled substance
3. No abuse potential, no side effects, no withdrawal.
3. Doesn't react with anything people normally consume (except massive quantities of grapefruit juice)
4. Four refills right off the bat
5. No lab work
6. next appointment - 6 months out!

Of course I wasn't wishing for a dangerous drug with lots of risks, but something like this sounds like it doesn't actually do anything.

I have the rest of the tab waiting at the pharmacy.. can anyone vouch for this drug for a 5 year PRN benzo user?

·
Occasionally Bannned
1,889 Posts
Most will argue that buspar does absolutely nothing. I, however, found it to be effective in giving me brain shocks about an hour after taking it.

I have the rest of the tab waiting at the pharmacy.. can anyone vouch for this drug for a 5 year PRN benzo user?
no. This drug isnt even on the same continent the ballpark sits in compare to benzos. this is one of the worst rated drugs for SA and usefulness in general. The best thing about it is it does nothing in most people so no side effects to deal with.

·
Comatose.
363 Posts
First off, BuSpar is GARBAGE. Supposed to work slightly like an SSRI. Total crap. I went on it for s couple months, I'd get more result from baby Asprin.

Secondly.. "Brain Shocks" are mild seizure activity. I had it on Paxil.

Third.. I have a lot of experience with pharmacology. I read books on it and been on a LOT of them. Feel free to private message me for my opinions or ideas/suggestions. But I am not a doctor, but I know some meds better than some doctors, I found I could tell doctors about drugs and know more than they do. I suggest some research before just taking a drug (again: Buspar is a waste of time). A pdoc just giving you a lot of BuSpar and saying come back in 6 months is NOT a good doctor imo. Lyrica is way better than Buspar for long term treatment I think. And perhaps a benzo prn for the more "acute" situations.

*** The above is only my opinion, discuss these things with your doctor(s) ***

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback. I got brain shocks from a few drugs in the past, not that fun.

I asked the pharmacist about it, and to compare it to benzos, he pretty much told me the same story about it being even comparable to benzos, and ended it "good luck".

Everything I'm reading online says it's for treating mild general anxiety disorder and also that it has been shown to be ineffective for any acute anxiety disorder (which is what I have). I'm not sure how I keep getting misdiagnosed with minor GAD or depression, for over a decade now... I describe my symptoms pretty well... how do you show a doc that you have acute anxiety symptoms, I feel like I just keep getting tossed into the bucket of people with minor anxiety or can't handle stress and want a quick fix.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you have mild anxiety, or anxiety induced by antidepressants, and don't want to go the Benzo route or want to get off benzos, than buspar is not a bad option.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
A big hoopla initially with buspar was that doctors just weren't going high enough dosage wise and everyone had to accept this was not going to be a benzo replacement, period. No matter how you "wrote it down!!". It did not work as effectively or in the same way.

Some swear by having benefits in the upwards of 60mg range after over a month of use. As again it may be able to help certain peoples brain chemistry but it's not a one pill shoot it down reaction!!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I take buspar. I agree with everyone that it sucks. But it has no side effects or effects for that matter so I will still take it everyonceinawhile with some prozac for the placebo effect that SSRI + buspar=good

Anyways I will probably tell my doc its worthless and I will get off of it. It will be good to drink grapefruit juice again!!!

I have also taken klonopin, xanax, and ativan at various points in the past 4-5 years or so and buspar is garbage compared to the miracle in a pill that is xanax for me.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Most will argue that buspar does absolutely nothing. I, however, found it to be effective in giving me brain shocks about an hour after taking it.
Hahaha same here mate, most terrible brainzaps i ever experienced.

That said, its 100% useless for everything besides GAD, however for GAD its as effective as benzo's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts