Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has heard of these "brand new" antidepressants. I have been off meds for at least 5 years, but I feel I need to go back on them right now cause my anxiety is starting to go out of control. Im currently only taking clonazepam as needed. I have had bad side effects with meds in the past, the last one being Effexor (which made me have public freakouts). My doctor says there are "new" antidepressants she can give me samples for since I can't afford any right now. Problem is she won't telll me what they are until I go back to see her to get some cause she doesn't want me to reasearch the side effects and get anxiety:eek: I'm assuming one of them is Pristiq, but I can't find out about anything else "new". Please post if you know anything:)

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If Effexor gave you "public freakouts" please don't try Pristiq. ;) It's just a metabolite of Venlafaxine (Effexor).

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
If Effexor gave you "public freakouts" please don't try Pristiq. ;) It's just a metabolite of Venlafaxine (Effexor).
Well, isn't that nice of them to provide you with the metabolite so your body doesn't have to do the work of breaking it down into that metabolite. Do you think they did that to keep milking this cash cow for years more or for the benefit of mankind?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Well, isn't that nice of them to provide you with the metabolite so your body doesn't have to do the work of breaking it down into that metabolite. Do you think they did that to keep milking this cash cow for years more or for the benefit of mankind?
"Tricky" question, I'll take the 50:50 joker, if that's ok. ;)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Does anyone know what the difference is in effects between Pristiq and Effexor? It seems pretty pointless to me, I don't know why people would pay extra for it.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Does anyone know what the difference is in effects between Pristiq and Effexor? It seems pretty pointless to me, I don't know why people would pay extra for it.
Because their doc prescribed it (after a thorough brain washing by drug reps) and their insurance pics up most of the tab anyhow so price doesn't matter to them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So.... No one has heard of anything else that is new other than Pristiq? I can't find anything else "new" my doctor would be talking about. I'm a little frustrated nothing seems to help but clonazepam, but I don't like taking it all the time cause it makes me feel crappy and tired by the end of the day.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I don't think there's any significant difference between Pristiq and Effexor XR, it's just a patent trick to make more money IMHO. Many people don't know that Desvenlafaxine (Pristiq) is just the metabolite of Venlafaxine (Effexor XR). I mean many people don't even know what the hell a metabolite is. ;)

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Pristiq is actually CHEAPER than Effexor XR on my insurance policy, lol.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
We don't even need new antidepressants necessarily, the ones of current times can be arranged into winning combinations. For example, SSRI + mirtazapine + Wellbutrin, would be really potent and even could induce hypomania en masse. Nothing better than hypomania for anxiety and depression; **** all those psychiatric definitions of it as something needing treatment.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I heard there is a pain med that was accidently found to be useful for anxiety. I forget the name, but it's starting to be prescribed in some places.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I haven't heard of Buprenorphine, I think it was another med. However, I hear Buprenorphine can often be abused, how did you get prescribed it?

·
Banned
642 Posts
I haven't heard of Buprenorphine, I think it was another med. However, I hear Buprenorphine can often be abused, how did you get prescribed it?
Buprenorphine has an abuse potential but it is very low. The best method to getting any specific med prescribed is to let the doctor give you a few scripts of what he recommends for a couple visits. After they "fail" to work start suggesting other meds you've read about that people have seen benefit

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah my GP has given me nearly every med they have thought would work. I suppose you could say I am due to start suggesting new medications I can try. Whether they will listen is another matter.

·
Banned
642 Posts
Just read up on the med prior to asking so you know the benefits and how it has helped others in your situation. If you've done a good job each visit to the doc he will not feel your a drug seeker and is more likely to help you anyway he can......

·
Registered
544 Posts
Do you mean a psychiatrist or simply a non-nhs GP? I wish I could see a private doctor. Certainly this would open the doors to trying other medications that may work rather than going in a constant circle via the SSRI method.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts