Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 51 and haven't figured this out yet and maybe I never will. I somehow managed to get married and have a 2 kids. Thank god they turned out better than I have. So many wasted days like today because I can't figure out how to connect with anyone. Haven't had a conversation or a friend in years. If I had life insurance I would just bail and not embarrass my family. How do I make a friend?

·
LEFT SAS
2,787 Posts
You have a family. That's pretty special in of itself. They obviously don't care if you have friends or not.

Personally, if I had a family, I don't think I would have a lot of time for friends anyway. But, if you're feeling lonely, you can try to meet people through meetups.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, Allone! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
slowlyimproving is right, a family is something to be proud of! That's something I really want and don't have yet. As for you're problem, I don't have a real answer, there really isn't one. The only think I can offer is my thought on friends, which might be trite but it is what it is.

Why is weather such a common topic? Because it's experienced by everyone! It's common, in order to make a friend, you have to focus on commonalities. World events, news, music, TV is a big one. Weather is the most common thing anyone can experience in a city, start there and wittle you're way down to more intricate topics.

Of course, all of us here have a problem interacting with people, which is a barrior I still haven't figured out. Posting on this site is reaching out, meaning you're taking a step forward so thats awesome. Feel more connected and keep posting!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's easy to make friends.
Do activities that you like example take a course in cooking, join a community, etc. You will meet new people and you share and do the same interessts and ask if they want to do other activites like a tour with a bicycle around town or seeing attractions, sights and monuments.

Put adds in the paper like "looking for a friend for after work activites (no sex)". You have to be clear on that no sex part since maybe someone will try to or If you want - hook up with you?

I have not done this since i don't have time (25 year old student) but be careful that some people maybe call you their friend but they just want to use you. That border is hair thin.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Right i forgot to mention - all my previous and current "friends" are the use and abuse-type. Only call me when they need something so I've decided to break with everyone and make new real friends after im done studying.

·
Registered
12 Posts
me too... I work all week and stay busy, but the weekends, I'm completely isolated.. Very depressing.. My therapist says I need to make some friends, but I just can't stand sitting around doing "small talk".. especially if there's more than one person.. She said I should just find one person, that I feel comfortable with.. I'm looking too, but it seems kinda forced, to "find a friend" ha... I was married and my kids are now grown.. I don't know if you believe in prayer but I've been praying for the "right person" to come into my life. It should happen, we'll see.. Have a great Sunday, try to get outside and enjoy life a little.. That's what I'm gonna do.. Exercise helps a lot... welcome

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.