Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I very rarely raise my hand in class even if I no the answer.So today a teacher told me all the other students raise they're hands and answer questions and you should do the same.But I'm to nervous to also if the teachers want me to participate more why don't they just call on me?Whats worse is when the teacher is like who haven't I called on today and then all the other kids will be like call on him and of course the teacher calls on someone else.

·
557 Posts
I'm sorry about that :/ I know the feeling all to well. Through my high school years I almost never raised my hand and now that I'm doing uni I still don't raise my hand. It's very important to participate at discussions...which I'm also not able to do now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had the similar problem, my teachers would complain about it even though I get better grades then those who do participate. Now they just call on me and I try to answer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Same here. Often times the teacher will ask a question, and no one will put their hand up, and I'll be 75% sure I know the right answer, but because of my fear of being wrong (I'm obsessed with wanting others to think I'm "higher" than them.. I know how bad that sounds), I won't raise my hand. Most of the time, I'll have the right answer, and then I'd mentally beat myself up for not being brave enough. And then I'd continue to make the same mistake.
Luckily I'm still in high school so I still have the chance to change.. and I will!!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I used to get comments like that in grade school. It's kind of odd because with friends and just casual conversations with teachers, I can be very social, outgoing, and feel no anxiety at all. When it comes to presentations, or being put on the spot for debates or discussions, or anything else that feels a bit "formal" my anxiety will go up.

Sometimes I know the answer but still won't say anything because my anxiety goes up again and I get irrational thoughts like, "what if it sounds stupid? What if I'm the only one thinking it..." but then someone else will say it and I'll be like "damn, I should've said that" LOL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts