Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a problem where I never get invited anywhere! I moved to a new school 3 years ago and I have tons of friends in school. I never have a problem getting a partner, picked first in sports. Also sit at a full lunch table and am never picked on. I am now a sophomore and I only got invited to a friends house 4 times in 3 years and never to any parties. I really don't know why and its making me really pissed off. I ask what they're doing anything on the weekend and they all say they can't and that they're busy yet everyday they go out of their way to talk to me and don't ignore me. I DON'T GET IT!!! My parents keep telling me to go out with friends yet I try to and they think I'm a damn loser at school which I'm completely not. I've tried everything other people said to do and now I'm getting really depressed. Any other ideas?

·
Fighting demons!
767 Posts
Why should other ppl invite you to go to places? Why don't you yourself go to those places? Are they your masters? Are they the Shepard and your the sheep? Go start your own party and go nightclubs and bars etc and skydiving and swimming and have fun.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why should other ppl invite you to go to places? Why don't you yourself go to those places? Are they your masters? Are they the Shepard and your the sheep? Go start your own party and go nightclubs and bars etc and skydiving and swimming and have fun.
First of all Im a minor so bars is probably a no. Also it's not fun doing those things by myself.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was the same way in high school. I went to a different school then all my friends went to. and so for the first year I never really made friends at the school I went to and instead just hung with my friends from other schools. After freshman year all the kids at my school had become good friends. Durring school hours people would hang out with me but I never really got invited to hang after school or anything. I think I got invited to like 4 party the whole 4 years of being there. Honestly I think it's that the kids at your new school are all really good friends with each other already and while they clearly don't dislike you they also don't automatically think to invite you out because your not part of anyone's tight circles. For example I have friends at work who I always enjoy to see and have a good time being around at work but on my days off I don't think "oh I should hit them up and see what they are doing" because I'm off with my friends doing what we do. Idk if any of this is gonna help or not but I thought I'd try because I feel for you. I have always been the way you discribe when it comes to school I always would always say I have school friends and then I have friends.
But anyways you seem like a likable person so I'd say start small don't expect to be invited to party's all the time. Find someone you connect with and start up a true strong friendship then you will start to hang with their friends and they will become your friends and so on. And if all else fails when you go to collage or get a job you will make tons of friends just don't let it get you down. Hope I help and didn't just ramble on but either way I know how you feel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was the same way in high school. I went to a different school then all my friends went to. and so for the first year I never really made friends at the school I went to and instead just hung with my friends from other schools. After freshman year all the kids at my school had become good friends. Durring school hours people would hang out with me but I never really got invited to hang after school or anything. I think I got invited to like 4 party the whole 4 years of being there. Honestly I think it's that the kids at your new school are all really good friends with each other already and while they clearly don't dislike you they also don't automatically think to invite you out because your not part of anyone's tight circles. For example I have friends at work who I always enjoy to see and have a good time being around at work but on my days off I don't think "oh I should hit them up and see what they are doing" because I'm off with my friends doing what we do. Idk if any of this is gonna help or not but I thought I'd try because I feel for you. I have always been the way you discribe when it comes to school I always would always say I have school friends and then I have friends.
But anyways you seem like a likable person so I'd say start small don't expect to be invited to party's all the time. Find someone you connect with and start up a true strong friendship then you will start to hang with their friends and they will become your friends and so on. And if all else fails when you go to collage or get a job you will make tons of friends just don't let it get you down. Hope I help and didn't just ramble on but either way I know how you feel.
I appreciate you taking the type to type that. It makes me feel a little better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Nah don't mention it. Like I said you seem like a good like able kid it's just hard to break into those "school clicks". In my experience making friends got easier the older iv gotten.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I had the same problem a year ago. Now note that I would like to go out way more than i do now, but its still much better at the moment. My personal solution was swap groups you hang around and focus your social energy towards them. I hung around kids that were social outcasts for two years basically.

Every now and then I learnt to invite others and I get invited places too, but this is if everything's smooth and its not always like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the same problem a year ago. Now note that I would like to go out way more than i do now, but its still much better at the moment. My personal solution was swap groups you hang around and focus your social energy towards them. I hung around kids that were social outcasts for two years basically.

Every now and then I learnt to invite others and I get invited places too, but this is if everything's smooth and its not always like that.
The social outcasts at my school are unathletic and are very wierd in my opinion.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts