Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must confess that I am extremely reluctant to ever have children for fear that I would have a child burdened with the same neurotic and anxious tendencies that I have. My greatest fear would be to have a son or daughter just like myself. How frustrating and demoralizing it would be to see my child walk into the same pitfalls as I did, the whole time knowing the fear and anger they feel all too well. Although my own experience with these issues probably leaves me in a much better position to understand and help my child than my parents were able to help me, it seems like a small consolation. It seems appropriate to quote the recently released movie Terri, "I guess I just wish I didn't need help, you know?"

Of course, in order to have a child I would need to be in a stable relationship with a member of the opposite sex first. And that doesn't appear to be in the cards any time soon.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I feel the exact same way! I always tell people that I don't plan to have kids because I've just never pictured myself as a parent or some other vague answer. Secretly, though, I don't want to pass on to another human being a susceptibility to social anxiety, depression, and neuroticism.Because I am no stranger to these issues, I might have more empathy for a child also dealing with them. However, I wouldn't be in a good position to help them develop healthy self-esteem or self-care methods because I haven't yet reached a stage where I really love and take care of myself. Imagine me telling this to my mother when she starts asking about grandkids!

But like you say, Centrofly, the opportunity isn't gonna happen any time soon!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Believe me I have kids and this is one of my greatest fears. In a way though my fear of hurting them socially is so great that it makes me work harder at my SA. I push myself for them and my therapist works really hard on me with this.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have to admit my mum pretty much passed down her severe anxieties and insecurities to all her children and to this day I still slightly resent her for never even trying to get help and for damaging and hurting us so much. But, she is in complete denial that she even has issues. I think if you're aware then you would be able to raise your children differently. A lot of is of course genetic, but that doesn't mean that a child predisposed to anxiety/depression will suffer and never be able to over come it. Life's not really easy for anyone. I think if everyone stopped reproducing for fear that children wont live perfect lives, the human race wouldnt last long at all! I personally know that when I have kids, I want to do the complete opposite of what my mum did. It won't always be perfect but life never is.

·
SASsy
18,100 Posts
My father was deeply neurotic and so am I. There's no doubt there's a strong genetic component here. But I also learned neurotic behavior patterns from watching him and he enabled...even encouraged...me to be the same way. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have to admit my mum pretty much passed down her severe anxieties and insecurities to all her children and to this day I still slightly resent her for never even trying to get help and for damaging and hurting us so much. But, she is in complete denial that she even has issues. I think if you're aware then you would be able to raise your children differently. A lot of is of course genetic, but that doesn't mean that a child predisposed to anxiety/depression will suffer and never be able to over come it. Life's not really easy for anyone. I think if everyone stopped reproducing for fear that children wont live perfect lives, the human race wouldnt last long at all! I personally know that when I have kids, I want to do the complete opposite of what my mum did. It won't always be perfect but life never is.
Yep. Just do the opposite. I think most of us already are the opposite of our parents, though obviously having the anxiety factor in common. I have empathy and I care about others feelings and opinions. I can't stand to have others feel as bad as I do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts