Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroplasticity

I'm not sure if this has been talked about before on here but I saw a commercial on TV advertising some web site to "train the brain" and thought it was nonsense. Although I do believe people can easily learn more no matter what stage in life, I don't believe someone can get "smarter". I believe most intelligence potential is genetic and anything beyond that is carved in the formative years (0-5). However I do think that things tied to emotions and learned responses can be re-learned, and when researching this I looked more into neuroplasticity. I don't understand much of the biological process but I do understand the implications. If we can "re-learn" our social understandings and change our behaviors long enough and consistently enough then we can effectively re-learn a better way to be both inside & out. That can lead to positive experiences as a response from others and will help to reinforce the CBT efforts.

So the remaining question for me, personally, is what should I do to re-learn? There's no web site that can simulate genuine social interactions, so what are the things I would need to do to "train my brain" to eventually cause it to form better neuropathways related to social understanding and behavior?

I know some situations which have never worked for me, which is forcing myself into loud bars and clubs where I don't know anyone. I also know sitting at home by myself most of the time is also reinforcing the wrong stuff. So what's in-between? What can I do that doesn't involve depending on an invite from others? What kind of things can I invite others to do? Just as important, how can I jump into enough social situations every week that won't cost me a fortune? Eating out and going to events costs a lot more than going to a house party full of friends, but I don't have barely enough friends to experience that more than once in a blue moon. Sitting at a bar and talking to strangers will build up a huge bar tab. What are free or cheap things I can do to constantly put me in front of new people? It would have to be a variety of things, not just one thing like "take a class at a community college". It needs to almost be at the point of sensory overload, even fear-enducing so that I know for sure I am stepping outside my comfort zone.

·
Registered
442 Posts
i hear you and am in a similar predicament , however i am doing a little volunteer work wich is hitting all the right mental spots im lagging behind in. i can recomend this to you my friend.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i hear you and am in a similar predicament , however i am doing a little volunteer work wich is hitting all the right mental spots im lagging behind in. i can recomend this to you my friend.
What kind of volunteer work? I have depression along with SA and I don't know if my temperament could handle certain situations. I don't mean comfort zone, I mean that I might become more of a burden to people when volunteering rather than being a help. There are some things which might make me happy like teaching art or helping people with creative things, but I don't know how to find volunteer opportunities for that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How to Neuroplasticity

For help in understanding neoroplasticity:

Check out Luminosity.com and Positscience.com.
Also read Norman Doidge's "The Brain That Changes Itself".

Joe

·
Registered
45 Posts
Reminds me of this video:

CBT does aim to help people to somehow 'rewire' their brain, very interesting post. I agree with Jon.

Go look on sites like craigslist maybe? I haven't had any chances on volunteering too much, but those few times I did gave me even more confidence. Maybe you can create an ad yourself? 'Willing to volunteer' somehow? And then maybe you can list your preferred work environment, etc. Don't know if it's a good idea, but I hope this helps. Best of luck.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I also find this subject fascinating and I think it does have potential.

One thing that helped me recently was being on holidays. It was a sun resort and people were always out and about and so was I, mingling among them. People tend to be nicer, happier and mingle more while on holidays. Only problem is it's expensive.

But I did notice i was much more inclined to initiate conversations afterwards and even arrange to meet people socially. This effect unfortunately didn't last more than a couple of weeks, and of course it could have been the lack of stress and the vitamin D, who knows.

I think it has to be an ongoing situation, so volunteering does sound like a good idea.

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
I always figured that to cure my SA and social ineptness I would implant a chip that would process social interactions for me. That seems easier though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts