Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this Neurontin prescribed from my doctor. I am also on Serzone, Remeron, Tranxene, and Abilify....... all these meds just for SAD and Minor Depression!!!!

I was just wondering who else has taken Neurontin and if it works for anxiety.. My depression is definately under control and I'm hoping the Neurontin works for SAD....I'm waiting for the med to come in to my doctor's office so I have not taken it yet.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Neurontin gave me mild/moderate improvement in SA, but dumbed me down so much. I couldn't think straight, and it made me stutter (which I didn't do before, nor after taking the drug). Of course this could be idiosyncratic, but from googling "gabapentin stutter", I doubt it.

Are these side-effects worth tolerating? I dunno, but speech impediment vs. SA is a lose-lose situation for me.

Oh yeah, it also made me really depressed within a few hours of dosing. More depressed than I could ever reach naturally.

In conclusion: if I wanted an anxiolytic dumb-drug, I'd much prefer benzos.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
damn. doesn't sound good.. I'm getting this because my doc doesn't want to give be a stronger benzo than what I'm on right now... I'm having some serious anxiety right now and was hoping the Neurontin would help. I'm going to look that up about stuttering...

What dosage were you on?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Neurontin was in my experience a true sugar pill, meaning no positive nor negative effects.

And you're on Serzone! I'm not aware of anyone else who is, probably due to that liver failure death thing. I tried it myself long ago before that liver failure death thing really turned everyone off to it.

I count 5 meds on your list. Either you're quite a serious case -- which you may be, I don't know enough about you to judge -- or your doc simply thinks writing prescriptions is the most fun activity in the world. Have prescription pad; will use vigorously.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If you just have minor depression and SAD then these medications are wrong IMHO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I agree I'm on way too many meds......... I can't take SSRI's because of sexual dysfunction :(.. . the serzone definately helps with the depression. the remeron is for sleep... the abilify was added to augment the antidepressants. the tranxene for anxiety is because they wouldn't dare put me back on xanax (because its addictive!!). .and now the Neurontin.......

Funny thing is, my anxiety/depression is not so bad to warrant taking 5 medications for it..... If I could just take Serzone for depression, Remeron for sleep, and if they would give me a stronger benzo I would be straight....I know about xanax being "addictive" and all, but so is Tranxene!!! Xanax worked great for my anxiety but I'm afraid to ask my doctor for it. It didn't make me feel "stupid" or forgetful, it just did its job of killing my anxiety!!! I never abused it either.. I took my dose and everything was fine.. Then I moved to Kentucky where the doc took me off it.. And now that I'm back in Ohio, I can't get it back.....

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
ignore -- I was asking how they got on so many meds and what they'd tried before, but they answered while I was typing that question.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
You could also use Clonazepam (Klonopin) for Anxiety and Trazodone (Desyrel) for Depression & Insomnia - just two meds.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know how to ask my doctor for Klonopin.. I was on it a few years back and it worked just fine.. But I don't know how to ask my doctor for something stronger. She doesn't seem to want to give me a strong benzo, you know, something that actually kills my anxiety.. So I guess I'm gonna try the Neurontin and see if it helps.. If not, than maybe I'll get brave and ask for a stronger benzo pill.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know this is an older thread but just wanted to say I prefer a small dose of 300 mg of neurontin to any benzos as it doesn't give me that "high" feeling, but rather a calm without any weird side effects.

You are on a lot of meds though for a less complex diagnosis, I take 4 meds currently and have bipolar disorder, SAD, panic disorder with agoraphobia, social phobia and some OCD tendencies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i agree with you. The Neurontin works great for me. I actually just met a very attractive woman and i feel no shyness around her so far!!! That's a major accomplishment for me lol. I usually feel SA around attractive females, but we're goin' on our first date on Saturday and i feel virtually no anxiety.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I know this is an older thread but just wanted to say I prefer a small dose of 300 mg of neurontin to any benzos as it doesn't give me that "high" feeling, but rather a calm without any weird side effects.

You are on a lot of meds though for a less complex diagnosis, I take 4 meds currently and have bipolar disorder, SAD, panic disorder with agoraphobia, social phobia and some OCD tendencies.
same here. like exact pretty much. but i do have an eating disoder

1 - 14 of 14 Posts