Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
You know what, I take that back. I'm looking over some of my old notes and there were definitely times when I felt I was going through withdrawals from Gabapentin cessation. Still mild (in my case) compared to what I've experienced from benzo cessation or certain other drugs, but if I were in a clinical trial I must admit I would have been one of those who reported withdrawal.

Also, the point about it not reducing "sex drive" but reducing "sexual ability" makes a lot of sense to me. It doesn't affect libido (IMO), but I've taken up to 3600mg a day and found myself totally stupid and barely able to feel pin pricks. I've read that really high doses can make you insensate. So I'm not surprised that this would affect our sexual "ability," or really our sexual sensitivity.

Again, apologies if any offense was taken from my earlier post.
oh, no problem at all. and yes, it really does affect sexual sensitivity. i couldn't feel a thing while on this drug nor while on pregabalin - which i suppose is great if using the drugs to manage pain, but not so great for those of us using the drugs to manage anxiety.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In reply to Ginny re: Shingles

Ginny~
Has your husbands doctor used the term Postherpatic Neuralgia with him? It certainly sounds to me like that is what he has. Please investigate this further as treatments can vary and the illness can last years. Best to you

·
Registered
1 Posts
I started taking Gabapentin for nerve pain about six months ago. It works VERY well for the nerve pain, has basically saved my life could not function without it. I started on 100mg 3x day and am now up to 600mg 3x a day which from a bit of research is a reasonably high dose although not massive. I've also found it great for anxiety too though as a side effect hence why I am posting here.

The side effects are mostly just feeling 'high', pretty nice actually, I am rather enjoying the mild stoned-like feeling I have most of the time. My short term memory is definitely affected but not to the point where it is affecting my life too much, can still do my job very well which involves constant quick thinking and calculation. There is a moderate degree of drowsiness too which I remedy by drinking loads of coffee.

I've always been socially anxious and had a lot of general anxiety as well and the Gabapentin has helped quite a lot with this, especially since I've upped the dose recently to 1800/day. I feel very talkative and confident, I mean look at this wall of text I've written here. In fact being on the Gabapentin has made me realise how bad my anxiety actually is normally. As you all know I'm sure, its very easy to get used to living in a depressed/anxious fog without fully appreciating the extent of the problem.

Anyway, short answer is I find Gapapentin to be a bit of a wonder drug overall for my severe pain condition and for anxiety too. May vary for others though, I seem to tolerate the side effects extremely well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
"does it also make you tired?"

actually no, gabapentin gives me energy.i take it in 3 day spurts and when i take it, i notice a nice mood lift and increased energy.when i first started taking it, i stayed on it for months and by the end of it i was a lethargic zombie.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Relief by accident

I've experienced crippling anxiety for the majority of my 53 years, or as long as I can remember. About 2 years ago, I stopped taking medication because the side effects I experienced at the high doses required to reduce the anxiety were not worth the limited relief I got.

About 2 months ago I started experiencing extreme pain and was diagnosed with nerve damage. It was debilitating. My doctor prescribed neurontin. I had immediate relief from the pain on a very minimal dose. A couple of weeks later I realized that I wasn't having my obsessive anxious thoughts anymore. I can't tell when/how it happened, but neurontin has addressed my anxiety better than any anti anxiety medication ever has (and I've taken many over the course of the years). It was a subtle change but a life altering change.

There's no magic bullet for addressing seemingly intractable anxiety, but I sure found something that appears to be working for me. No side effects, no pain, and I don't spend most of my waking hours worrying about everything going on in my life.

I can't describe how nice it feels to have my life back. It's been a long road and I'm going to enjoy the ride for now.

Hope you all find an anxiety free road to enjoy as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone experience flu-like symptoms after taking gabapentin.

I started on 100mg daily a week ago and the last 4 days I have colds, runny nose, fever.

Does anyone know whether this will persist or will go away eventually?

Regards

·
Registered
309 Posts
^tbh that sounds like you just have a cold but neurontin has a laundry list of side effects, some are quite strange.with me, i suffered from some strange vision and nerve problems while taking the drug.they werent constant but they were there and annoying.

·
Feline Enthusiast
538 Posts
I am only on my second night of using gaba... i was directed to start taking it only at bedtime. I will give an updated review in 1-2 months.

My first night I woke up to a knocking sound, about an hour after I fell asleep..the noise I heard I am not sure was real or not. When I stood up I was very disoriented. I had to hug the walls to walk and keep from falling. I got up to pee and slipped on my bathroom floor. Weird thing is the whole time I was in very "loopy" and giggly mood. Everything was funny. When I fell and hurt myself I laughed. Sort of happy but more like to someone else they would probably think I was drunk or on a recreational drug. I felt good on the inside, still tired, and still very disoriented/uncoordinated and went back to bed.

Tonight, the second night I woke up to a very vivid dream, it wasn't quite a nightmare but close. My dreams are rarely vivid. My heartrate was raised but I am akin to blame the bad dream as a panic trigger for that and not the med itself. In the past, if a nightmare ever woke me up it was always shortly before I woke up naturally, when REM had already passed. Just thought this was odd. We will see how the rest of my weeks go.

·
Registered
1 Posts
gabapentin

I've experienced crippling anxiety for the majority of my 53 years, or as long as I can remember. About 2 years ago, I stopped taking medication because the side effects I experienced at the high doses required to reduce the anxiety were not worth the limited relief I got.

About 2 months ago I started experiencing extreme pain and was diagnosed with nerve damage. It was debilitating. My doctor prescribed neurontin. I had immediate relief from the pain on a very minimal dose. A couple of weeks later I realized that I wasn't having my obsessive anxious thoughts anymore. I can't tell when/how it happened, but neurontin has addressed my anxiety better than any anti anxiety medication ever has (and I've taken many over the course of the years). It was a subtle change but a life altering change.

There's no magic bullet for addressing seemingly intractable anxiety, but I sure found something that appears to be working for me. No side effects, no pain, and I don't spend most of my waking hours worrying about everything going on in my life.

I can't describe how nice it feels to have my life back. It's been a long road and I'm going to enjoy the ride for now.

Hope you all find an anxiety free road to enjoy as well.
Im so, so happy to hear this for you. I started taking Gabapentin about two+ weeks ago, and it feel s like a miracle to me. My anxiety symptoms have been so bad, that i've had no quality of life for quite some time. These tablets are working for me like nothing has in 25 years, having tried everything under the sun even shock treatment. The trouble is I accessed them via a friend of a friend who is prescribed them for nerve damage and not, like me, rediculous amounts of anxiety. I'm terrified my Doctor wont help me with a personal prescription and he is only in one day a week as about to retire, is currently away+ fully booked day he's back, although i'm hoping to squeeze myself in as emergency appointment. Its stressfull for me to have to hassle this poor guy i barely know for more pills to cover this period until can hopefully see doctor, if he can even spare them.

I've read on here about people ordering medication, including gabapentin online. I'm in the Uk, but does anybody know anywere reputable that sells the propper stuff where I could order online without a prescription? I'd be so very, very gratefull. I don't want to go back to nothingness and with a knot in my head. For me, I believe i would come under neuropsychiatry, and have nerve damage from drugs i took as a teenager and has consequently destroyed my entire adult existence. Anyway..! Sorry long post and very pleased to for anyone who's found anything near a solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Im so, so happy to hear this for you. I started taking Gabapentin about two+ weeks ago, and it feel s like a miracle to me. My anxiety symptoms have been so bad, that i've had no quality of life for quite some time. These tablets are working for me like nothing has in 25 years, having tried everything under the sun even shock treatment. The trouble is I accessed them via a friend of a friend who is prescribed them for nerve damage and not, like me, rediculous amounts of anxiety. I'm terrified my Doctor wont help me with a personal prescription and he is only in one day a week as about to retire, is currently away+ fully booked day he's back, although i'm hoping to squeeze myself in as emergency appointment. Its stressfull for me to have to hassle this poor guy i barely know for more pills to cover this period until can hopefully see doctor, if he can even spare them.

I've read on here about people ordering medication, including gabapentin online. I'm in the Uk, but does anybody know anywere reputable that sells the propper stuff where I could order online without a prescription? I'd be so very, very gratefull. I don't want to go back to nothingness and with a knot in my head. For me, I believe i would come under neuropsychiatry, and have nerve damage from drugs i took as a teenager and has consequently destroyed my entire adult existence. Anyway..! Sorry long post and very pleased to for anyone who's found anything near a solution.
I was prescribed Gabapentin for social anxiety from a psychiatrist here in the US. It's commonly prescribed here for people suffering from social anxiety who have had addiction problems in the past. You may have more luck getting it from a psychiatrist than from your doc.

·
Forever Young
816 Posts
just had my dose of gabapentin increased to 100mg 4x per day.

it gives me a bit of a feeling like i just smoked a couple hits of some weed. not fully high, but kinda buzzed feeling. including the memory loss. some slight visual impairment too.

having said that, im not sure just yet how it is doing for my SA. just the first day

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello I am a recent user of Neurontin for my severe social anxiety and it did help me but only if I took high dosages of it like at least 1,800mgs other than that it hasn't seemed to work for me I was prescribed vicodin at one time when I ended up in the e.r for a back injury due to falling an I feel that it did seriously help me out a ton with my anxiety I felt alive and free at once does anyone know if a psychiatrist can prescribe vicodin or something that has the same/similar effects?

·
alone
9 Posts
Ive been on 1600mg of Neurontin for about three weeks. I haven't had a panic attack in about two weeks so maybe it's working. It's doing nothing for my depression though. I sill get so depressed from the lonliness sometimes that I cry.

·
climbon6786
27 Posts
Miracle Drug!

I was just diagnosed with social anxiety. I am 29 and also have bipolar disorder. I frequently had panic attacks that felt like all the muscles in my chest were seizing and it hurt to breathe deep. I take an anti-psychotic, antidepressant, and some other stuff for my bipolar, none of it that works for social anxiety.

Last month I started seeing a new psychiatrist after I got fed up with the red tape at the hospital I was going to. I offhandedly mentioned that I have social anxiety, and he asked me if I wanted to change it. I was dumbstruck because I didn't even know there were meds to help this. I quickly responded that I did not want to try anything addictive, and he put me on Neurontin.

Fast forward a month later, and I am actually leaving the house and going to my favorite indoor rock climbing wall again. I used to only go once a month and would leave discouraged that I could never talk to anything. I can talk to some people at the wall now, but I am still all nervous that ppl think I'm weird and say the wrong stuff. I realized that I have been avoiding so many social situations and not leaving the house because of my anxiety. It was sad to realize that and I cried for a couple days at night.

I take 100 mg 3x a day. I am seeing my doctor again this Wednesday and am going to ask for an increased dose. Once I took 600 mg a day and I went to the climbing wall with NO anxiety. I talked like I never have before, and DID NOT HAVE ONE OUNCE OF ANXIETY! I made a new friend too! What I am most happy about is that the first drug my doctor tried works!

Anyways, the moral of the story is - Don't know it until you try it. Keep working with your doctor and you will find something that works.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.