Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard this mentioned a few times as a possible treatment and ordered a book on it, the ironically titled "Neuro-linguistic Programming for Dummies. Has anyone had experience with NLP and has it helped you personally?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It has not helped me personally. I purchased the books "NLP: The New Technology of Achievement" and "Introducing NLP by Joseph O'connor and John Seymour" and they did not help me. I have heard of one instance in which it helped with a drug addiction tho.

·
Dude
604 Posts
I've been listening to the audio version of "NLP: THe new techonology of Achievement." It's interesting and I think it is a very helpful combined with CBT. Though, there are many times I hate what NLP teaches. It feels very unrealistic at times. It tries to solve the problem without understanding the problems, which in my opinion, makes it only a temporary fix. Learning CBT first gave me a better understanding of how NLP works and you combine the subconscious side with conscious side with CBT. I realized when I did some cbt, I repeated thoughts but i never really added the required emotion and visualization to help reinforce those positive thoughts. Like when I use CBT to tell myself I'm fine the way I am, at the same time I try to remember and visualize the thoughts and emotions I had when I actually did feel that way in the past. Also, I find NLP more effective for sudden bouts of anxiety.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts