Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Single
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always feel awkward around people with their babies. I feel like I have to interact with them and act silly to acknowledge them. It makes me feel stupid when I do that, like everyone is staring at me. On top of that, babies always stare at me for no apparent reason, and I don't consider myself a "baby person". A lot of them are ok, but they just make me really nervous when I don't know how to act around them! Does anyone have the same problem, or what can I do to calm my anxiety??:afr

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Heh I get the same way. All other girls are all "Ahhhh my gahhh it's so cute" and I just stand there and look at it. And the mom will tell the baby "Say hi!!!" and I still just stand there and look awkwardly. I guess that's when I'm supposed to be all "Hiiii!" back, but I can't bring myself to do that squeaky voice or act silly, nor do I really want to. I don't see a problem with not being a baby person, but if you feel really awkward you could just state "Oh, what a cute baby you have" or something along those lines and direct it to the parent so that you don't have to interact with the baby, yet you still acknowledged it. And babies and kids always stare at me too, but they stare at everyone, so it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am the opposite, one of the few times I ever feel calm in social situations is when I'm around younger kids, probably because their judgment is worthless to me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I always feel babies are looking at me too its like they can sense fear :afr

Especially my little cousin she's probably about 9 now but when she was younger she'd always be like "why don't you talk?" constantly :| I still try to avoid her to this day, she always makes me feel awkward and stupid even though i'm twice her age :um

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I only feel ackward when the baby starts to crawl on me and I don't really know the parents that well.

·
Positively Revolting Hag
6,547 Posts
My second cousins who are all under 7 make me feel awkward. I dunno how to talk to them either. I only use baby talk with my cat haha.

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Heh I get the same way. All other girls are all "Ahhhh my gahhh it's so cute" and I just stand there and look at it. And the mom will tell the baby "Say hi!!!" and I still just stand there and look awkwardly. I guess that's when I'm supposed to be all "Hiiii!" back, but I can't bring myself to do that squeaky voice or act silly, nor do I really want to.
Well this describes me perfectly - babies and little kids are honestly one of the worst creations ever - God created man and woman didn't he? Not damn babies!

·
stillborn
1,764 Posts
With young kids I usually talk to them like they are equals / my age
Yeah, I do that to. I remember I hated when people used that silly voice to talk to me when I was little. But it hurt me when older kids or teachers talked like that to other kids and not to me. It's like they thought I was less cute or likable... or something. Which is pretty strange... but I was a pretty sensitive kid.

I'm really not a baby person. I think they're pretty creepy. I like toddlers and I'm actually pretty good with kids even though I don't like them that much. I don't have the patience. Most of the time with babies I don't acknowledge them. They always stare at me and sometime they get distressed.

When you make eye contact with their mothers you're pretty much finished. Then they'll glance down at their baby like, "Look, I have a baby. Isn't it precious? Isn't it the most adorable thing you've ever seen?". But I don't really care. There are babies everywhere.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
My second cousins who are all under 7 make me feel awkward. I dunno how to talk to them either. I only use baby talk with my cat haha.
Can you talk like that to your cat if someone else is around?

I could attempt this babay talk thing, but not in the presence of other people. I'm afraid I'll look really sound and say something stupid. There are some people who are really great with kids and I HATE it when I end up with them and a kid comes along. I'm left there looking like a the only young adult who isn't acknowledging the little kids. And when I do I seem to talk to them like adults, which doens't go down too well.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
When you make eye contact with their mothers you're pretty much finished. Then they'll glance down at their baby like, "Look, I have a baby. Isn't it precious? Isn't it the most adorable thing you've ever seen?"....
And then there is that awkward silence where you're expected to do somehting with the baby :lol.

·
Registered
896 Posts
I love babies, they're so cute and sweet. But i hate when having to interact w/ them also, because i don't feel right, i feel stupid...saying "hi" or "hey" like 8x lol...that's what people usually say. But when i see any baby, i just tell there parent's "he's/she's so cute" and leave it at that.

·
The b**** is back
1,121 Posts
Meh, I'm ambivalent toward most babies, and don't feel any obligation to make a fuss over them. Occasionally I'll meet a kid and think it's cute but for the most part I'm uninterested. I'd rather talk about animals. Or politics. Or....anything. ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I am the same way. Kids too, I feel like I just don't know how to act or relate to them.

2,348 Posts
Babies kind of scare me. They are so delicate, fragile and little. I am afraid I will break one if I hold one. And it feels weird since it makes me think that we all used to be that small.

I did hold my cousins' daughter when she was a baby, it was kind of scary. That is a lot of responsibility just holding a baby.

If I do see a cute baby though it does make me smile and feel happy.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Babies kind of scare me. They are so delicate, fragile and little. I am afraid I will break one if I hold one...
I feel the same way about babies. But I absolutely adore toddlers and young children. They are so much fun to be around. I wish I could find a weekend babysitting job -- but, alas, what parent is going to hire a babysitter who has no personal references?

·
Registered
654 Posts
I'm terrible around children in general, since I'm terrified of upsetting them. You'd think I'd feel less anxiety towards little kids, but it's actually worse than adults.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I don't really feel nervous around baby's, I don't like to hold them and have to deal with them, their small and i fear to brake them like someone said above. Kids that can talk though is an other thing, I think those little things can have big things to say, and say against you.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Am i bad for saying that i much prefer animals? I find animals to be much cuter especially baby animals and they are less demanding unlike human babies. I think humans are too intelligent for their own good and this is what makes us demanding.

I've been an uncle since just after last Christmas and i feel uncomfortable even with my sister's baby. I have no clue how to interact with babies and children, my parents and everyone else does all this baby talking and i can't do that because i feel stupid.

I'm convinced that my niece already hates me and is uncomfortable in my company because when i hold her, after five minutes she starts crying but with my dad she is happy. I also feel uncomfortable to have babies and kids staring at me and they do it a lot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts