Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have orientation for the university i am going to tomorrow and even though i am excited and cant wait to start i still am nervous. i think mostly because of my SA. I worry I will get there tomorrow and do or say something stupid. Hope it will all go well. Have any of you guys felt this way about orientation? What was it like for you?

·
Registered
139 Posts
o yeah, well i had orientation in early june and for me, it was a pretty bad experience. I was sooo nervous, anxious, and depressed my whole stay there. I had to stay on campus for three nights! Then ate my meals alone, barely made conversation with any of the other students at the orientation, and made no friends there:( However, YOU have the power to have a positive or negative experience. I had a bad time because i thought negatively, therefore i acted negatively. I hope you have a great time and enjoy yourself no matter what!:)

·
Registered
492 Posts
i have felt this way before an orientation, there not that bad. At least the ones I have been to, they don't expect much of you, its you in a giant crowd of people, you can blend pretty easily. Now it depends on weather you want to be "social" or not. if your going to blend in and just chill, then you'll be fine. If you plan to talk to people and so on, then it depends on your comfort level at this point with people and groups. But you'll be fine.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I was very nervous at orientation but I made some good friends that I still know today. Keep in mind that a lot of people there don't know many people either. Everyone wants to make a new friend, so if you have ever wanted to just go up to someone and say "Hi I'm John", this is the time to do it. Ask them what their major is, what school they went to, if they know anyone there, where they're living next year, etc. Orientation is the most welcoming time at university, you can choose to make it a good learning experience. Take the small first step and say hi. :)

·
Registered
604 Posts
Good luck! I know how incredibly nerve-wrecking orientations are. I wish they were optional. Just keep an open mind and think positively. Just know that everyone else is equally as nervous and lost. Orientation is the time for people to find their footing at the university therefore everyone is in the same boat. Thinking about that made me feel better about it.

Luckily orientation for me was a breeze. I was doing some pre-college courses so I already made some acquaintances that I would see between activities. My orientation group happened to be the quietest of all the groups. Everyone was so different so nobody talked and I loved it haha. I was lucky enough to make a nice friend and we hung out for the most part in my dorm room watching movies while everyone was outside mingling and trying to make friends. I didn’t have the pressure to be out there acting crazy like everyone else.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just had orientation as well during the middle of June.

I was nervous for it, but that's the thing: everyone's nervous about it. You have to tell yourself that going in. Orientation is kind of an awkward experience for everyone, so you can take solace in the fact that even people who don't suffer from SA have trouble.

Mine was really long (1.5 days) and it was extremely boring and tedious. But the social part of orientation was OK for me. Good luck, you'll be fine and I think the experience will ease your fears about college. It did for me.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well thank God everything went ok. it was from like 11 - 4. my friend went with me so that help. I got my classes all ready so im good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts