Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Leben ist verrückt!!!!
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to my therapist last week and he said that the psychiatrist is gonna prescribe me medication. I am really skeptical and scared because I have never taken any medication for my depression or anxiety. So I was just wondering does the medicine really help?

How long are most people prescribed to the medicine?
Will it completely cure my anxiety away?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I can tell you this. It will most likely help if you give it time. A lot of people quit on meds after a week or even a few days because of the side effects. Side effects will go away and you should feel better after about 4 weeks.

In my opinion, after my experience on Lexapro, they are a temporary patch. They put you in a place where you can stand back, identify your problems, and work on them (with CBT and therapy).

Meds are not magic pills. A lot of people put too high expectations on psych meds and think they will cure them completely. They just stand back and let the drug take them wherever, but the truth is you need to really identify your issues and work through them, so you can feel better off meds.

My experience on Lexapro definitely helped. It put me in a more even keel emotionally so I could take a step back and figure out what was going on. Off meds I could not do this, my emotions were uncontrollable all over the place. I really learned more about myself and why I feel anxiety, and how my mind is my worst enemy. Coming off Lexapro, I feel like I emerged as a different person. I'm by no means cured but I have a better outlook and self esteem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you don't want to get on the medication, tell your therapist so. You have rights! No one can force you to take anything against your will.

Though you should probably consider it. I doubt it will completely cure your anxiety, but then I have never been on medication long term either. Good luck.

·
Banned
8,760 Posts
I've had two very different experiences with meds over the last few years, one with my family doc, who new almost nothing about treating anxiety or depresssion, and a totally different experience with the psychiatrist I'm seeing.

My family doc literally did not know what to do with me. He just threw prescirptions at me in visits that lasted 2-3 minutes, and wished me luck. I stopped seeing him about 2 months ago, and found out he gave me combinations of meds that put me at risk for seratonin syndrome, and raised my blood pressure to 160 over 110. I found all this out after going to see my psych.

I'm on the right meds now, 100 mg Seroquil, 300 mg Oleptrol, 100 mg librium as needed and huge amount of vitamin B complex to try to reverse some of the damage to my nerves that years of alcohol & drug abuse have left me with.

It's had an amazing effect on me already, and Im only in my 5th week.

Me and my family have had to really sacrifice because my insurance doesn't cover the dr visits (which I will forever feel guilty about). My situation got so bad we had no other choice, my family was falling apart. I used to be very skeptical about meds but they've really helped me get well, in only a few weeks.

I hope you give it a chance.

·
Follow the White Rabbit
20 Posts
I was just like you. Kinda terrified to start meds honestly. Since I never was on any before and I strongly opposed SSRI's but after a bad experience I had to give in. Like others have said, it might take some time. And from my experience, you won't be cured but it might let you live your life better. Remember, these are just small tools. For the most part, you will have to make yourself change and relearn how to cope with issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts