Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Welcome to the New Age!
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I am getting my computer parts and I am kinda nervous about building it, any tips or useful information that I need? This will be my first computer that I'm building, as you can tell.
Any info would greatly help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The first thing I would do is secure the cpu and heatsink on the motherboard, then place the motherboard in the case and screw it in.
Now just put in all the other components and hook up the power and data cables
Plug in the headers for the front panel (on/off, restart, audio) are you're ready to go

Nothing to worry about :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
My first computer kind of reminded me of putting together really big lego pieces. One thing I would recommend is that before you put everything in tightly you test everything to make sure all the parts fit in the case and are working. You can then screw everything in tightly after making sure that is good.

·
Welcome to the New Age!
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I envy you bro, I'm sure it will be lots of fun. What kind of system is it?>
My part list.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS

Graphics Card: EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Processor: AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX

Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

Power Supply: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Internal Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD Burner: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

CPU Cooler: ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM

I also decided to get 3, 22" Asus LCD monitors and a razor keyboard and mouse combo and a blue snowball. What I'm really concerned how to keep all the wires organized and DOA parts since I'm ordering from Newegg.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Computer parts are pretty much plug'em together and screw'em together these days. No longer does one need to mess with jumpers, DIP switches, and IRQs. I'd recommend breadboarding the mobo, CPU, GPU, and memory to see if there are any problems before installing into the case.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Cool. Post some pics when you get done.

I haven't built a computer since the early 90s. DIY computers have never been too hard to put together once you have compatibility of all the parts worked out.

Still. I think I'd be a nervous wreck the day before. I'm thinking of ordering some stuff from Newegg myself sometime soon. But the idea of something going wrong and having to deal with returning stuff is really a turnoff.

·
Villain in glasses
3,511 Posts
Never built one, not too much of a hardware guy, I hate having to breadboard in my digital electronics class.

·
Sealer of Nyx
370 Posts
It is a lot easier than it sounds. You can build most of it outside the case. Take the mobo, install the ram and cpu and heatsink, then screw it into the mobo. Don't be afriad to hold the mobo by the heatsink to get in in their easy. Then the gpu. Then plug it all in and you're done.

Install the psu first thing.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
It is a lot easier than it sounds.
Until something you've never encountered before goes wrong. I've had this happen a few times when I was screwing around with my computer just for the hell of it and didn't have a backup computer (or internet connection). It can be infuriating.

·
Sealer of Nyx
370 Posts
woah 15 hours? My first one took me 7, and that was like 2 hrs scared of that motherboard crunching sound when you snap in the cpu.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
After 15 hours, I have finished it, I'm really proud of myself and I'm also happy it is working, thanks guys for the tips
Cool. You put lot of nice hardware into it from the description you gave. I'd have been really nervous about frying or breaking something.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Make sure you protect the motherboard from static electricity. I'm sure this is probably common sense.
That's the only thing you need to worry about really. Just follow the directions and it will get setup okay.

@Animekid just think it will take even less time next time ;)

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Thread is useless without pictures :b

The first build is always daunting, but it gets easier. I can get builds physically done in about 15 minutes now if needed at work. My watercooling is usually a whole night affair however, can't rush that.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Tomorrow I am getting my computer parts and I am kinda nervous about building it, any tips or useful information that I need? This will be my first computer that I'm building, as you can tell.
Any info would greatly help.
Pro tip:
Quickly assemble the motherboard + CPU + RAM outside the case, plug in a monitor and boot up first to make sure it's working.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts