Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a college sophomore. I used to go to the gym and actually had some muscles. I wasn't totally buff, but you know, I had something. When I used to go, I was so much happier and motivated and my confidence increased so much.

However, my last semester schedule made it near impossible to go to the gym consistently. And I lost all my muscle. I tried to gain it back over winter break and made some progress, but when I got back to school, it was so packed with all the real buff guys and the "resolutioners" so I lost a lot of motivation.

Now, I literally lost any and all muscle I had and am back to stage 1: skinny weak dude. I look at my arms and stuff and see nothing and I lose so much confidence. Now, you would think the easy solution is just go back to the gym consistently for a month. My schedule makes it so easy. But with the loss of muscle, I have lost so much motivation and am back to that stage where it's hard for me to just go to the gym and start back up again because of my SA. When I tried to start again at the beginning of the year, it was so crowded. I bet the crowds are smaller, but it seems I see a lot more people working out. I remember when first starting to work out how hard it was for me to get to the gym.

I was supposed to start today (Mondays are always a good place to start), but I have so much homework and actual work (I work part-time too) that I didn't go. But the true reason is that I am nervous to go and start over as that skinny weak dude. I know going to the gym is good for me because it has worked well in my confidence in the past, but I have no motivation anymore because the muscle gaining process is so slow.

Can anyone help me get out and do this?

·
Registered
591 Posts
you dont have to go to the gym to work out... there are a tone of calisthenic workouts that you can do on your own before venturing to the gym...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I struggle with a similar issue. What I do is go to the gym during those "off" hours. The gym at my apartment complex is 24/7 so I can go at around midnight or a tad later and almost never have to worry about other people.

·
Registered
26 Posts
the gym is an akward place, you just answered your own question..whole bunch of hunks staring like creepers..get a weight bench.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I go to the gym in the mornings and I'm the skinniest one there - because everyone else who goes at that time are 'serious' trainers.

All those big guys started somewhere though, and I can guarantee they won't look down on you for being skinny. If anything, they respect you for making an effort.

The only part of the gym that makes me anxious now is standing around waiting for equipment, or having to ask someone how many sets they have left

If you need some motivation, have a look here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=728136

·
Registered
4 Posts
No one cares about other people at the gym no matter how fat or skinny they are. I went to many different gyms and never seen anyone ever laughing at someone or something like that.

So definitely go to gym, you will have much better results than training at home, and it will help with your SA.

·
Nope, still not!
3,273 Posts
I tried it.... never ever again :um

1 - 8 of 8 Posts