Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to start exposure therapy next week, but I got invited to my Nana's house for a meal, so I'm going to go there as an exposure. My Mum's going to pick me up soon and I'm worried. I always laugh at the dinner table because I'm nervous. How can I stop this? Thanks for the help. :)

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
I was going to start exposure therapy next week, but I got invited to my Nana's house for a meal, so I'm going to go there as an exposure. My Mum's going to pick me up soon and I'm worried. I always laugh at the dinner table because I'm nervous. How can I stop this? Thanks for the help. :)
What type of laughter? Nervous or natural? I think its great you're starting exposure therapy. :)

·
In 'da 707
4,382 Posts
I say don't be so hard on yourself with whatever happens. You're fighting an anxiety disorder, which is no easy task. It really doesn't matter if you laugh at the dinner table or not. It's not a large issue.

·
Digimon Loyalist
2,031 Posts
Hey Harvey what is exposure therapy like? Has it helped with your SA?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Harvey what is exposure therapy like? Has it helped with your SA?
This is my first voluntary exposure since I started. It wasn't that bad TBH. I've got an exposure in mind for tomorrow too, but does it count as an exposure if you have to do it anyway, but you do it early?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi, good luck with everything. I also have my first exposure therapy forcing-myself-into-an-uncomfortable-situation thing today. So I can't really advise anything – the main thing is just to be positive and DO IT, I guess :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Awesome! How did it go?

I have to approach five people in my class today and ask them to be my partner for an assignment. Sounds really small, I know, but I feel nervous already and I haven't even walked out the door yet, lol.

Though I feel kind of inspired now, thanks :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome! How did it go?

I have to approach five people in my class today and ask them to be my partner for an assignment. Sounds really small, I know, but I feel nervous already and I haven't even walked out the door yet, lol.

Though I feel kind of inspired now, thanks :)
That doesn't sound small. It's a very hard exposure. Why do you need 5 partners though? :stu How did it go?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I only need(ed!) one partner, but my counsellor wanted me to ask 5 people until I found one. And I did! I think I'll do a post in the 'Triumphs' section later today.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks!

Actually, the second person I asked accepted. But I managed to talk about the assignment with some other people in class. Building my small talk skills and all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts