Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LivGinger
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided to give this a try... I have the tendency to be afraid that what I say is being judged as silly. The last thread about the extrovert gave me the courage to open up. I am also an extrovert that exhibits similar patterns. My biggest obstacle is that to everyone I appear so happy and confident. When they reach a stage of friendship or around me long enough to realize I am insecure it shocks them. Some don't believe it.
I only recently was told that I exhibit the traits and thought patterns of someone with Social Anxiety Disorder. When I did my research, I actually became very emotional. I read about how it exhibits itself in children. Reading about how it could present itself and how perfectly it matched me... Well it made me feel as though all those emotions and insecurities I suffered through as a child and teen were not just me being silly.
Anyways now as an adult I have my good days and my bad days. Sometimes I feel as though nothing I say is right and that I am embarrassing myself. Usually this has to do with social dynamic of the day. Whether I am around really good friends or regular friends or strangers. My current job is in advertising sales. I have found that it makes my anxiety rear it's ugly head often. I am constantly around new people which I like but and a big but is I feel I don't stack up. The people I meet are usually (always) older than myself and (mostly) intelligent and successful. I am constantly afraid of embarrassing myself in front of them or looking young and silly. My 'support network' think that this is ridiculous and that I didn't see myself as others do, which may or may not be the case. All I know, all I feel is young, silly, not an equal.
I am here to share, to receive advice, to help me realize I am not alone. To talk. To talk to those who won't make me feel silly or that what I feel is a figment of my imagination because how could it be true.

·
Is Not Amused!
437 Posts
This is the internet, no pressure here I just came here myself because my social status is well.... bad lets leave it at that. Iv done self SA tests and was shocked just the same how well they matched me!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used to never talk much to people because I was afraid of saying something dumb. I still shy away like that but not as much as I used to.

·
Is Not Amused!
437 Posts
Im the "quit" guy most of the times in a group conversation i can't really help it. Guess i just have some struggles in group conversations : S

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, LivGinger! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts