Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Doing my own thing
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going on my first beach holiday with my gf in 3 months and I want to be able to take my shirt off and not be embarrassed. I have some dumb bells at my disposal to build up muscle. I can also cycle to burn off the fat. I am not running as I hate it.

I am slightly overweight and dont have much muscle. What should my work out plan be? Is the equipment I have enough to see a big difference 3 months from now? I dont want to go to a gym, I have in the past and did not enjoy it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm also attempting to lose weight by the end of August 2014! Have you considered resistance bands as well? They are effective for weight loss.

·
Doing my own thing
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A lot of you are focusing on weight loss. My main goal is to become more muscular, I am literally less then 2-3 pounds overweight.

·
Doing my own thing
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, I just assumed you were mostly embarrassed because you had too much fat, not too little muscle. Find a program based around compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench press, and rows. These exercises will have the greatest effect on your physique.
Yeah perhaps I wasn't clear in my op.

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
A lot of you are focusing on weight loss. My main goal is to become more muscular, I am literally less then 2-3 pounds overweight.
This isn't going to happen in 3 months time, you should have started out a lot earlier. Of course you can build a little muscle mass and seeing as you don't have much at all to start with it may make a visible difference. But you also have the problem that in order to optimize your building you should be bulking up while lifting which you obviously don't want to do if you are overweight.

My advice would be go for the skinny look. Who doesn't wanna be muscular but at least you won't be alone, there are lots of skinny guys and nothing wrong with that. In 3 months time that is certainly possible to achieve if you are only a few pounds overweight.

·
Doing my own thing
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This isn't going to happen in 3 months time, you should have started out a lot earlier. Of course you can build a little muscle mass and seeing as you don't have much at all to start with it may make a visible difference. But you also have the problem that in order to optimize your building you should be bulking up while lifting which you obviously don't want to do if you are overweight.

My advice would be go for the skinny look. Who doesn't wanna be muscular but at least you won't be alone, there are lots of skinny guys and nothing wrong with that. In 3 months time that is certainly possible to achieve if you are only a few pounds overweight.
I am a skinny guy. I am 6'2 and weight 180 pounds, add or take a few, and look skinny with a bit of a stomach. I dont believe that in 3 months time I cant gain a decent amount of muscle.

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
There are plenty of calisthenic options, I.e., burpees, mountain climbers, etc., that burn fat and can tone muscle. Also, don't forget pushups, squats, lunges, chair dips, etc. Plenty to do with no equipment.

·
Doing my own thing
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are plenty of calisthenic options, I.e., burpees, mountain climbers, etc., that burn fat and can tone muscle. Also, don't forget pushups, squats, lunges, chair dips, etc. Plenty to do with no equipment.
Can anyone tell me where to start so I dont waste my time? I used to work out a lot at various points in my life but its been 3-4 years since I lifted anything so I dont know where to even begin!

·
Banned
8,934 Posts
Can anyone tell me where to start so I dont waste my time? I used to work out a lot at various points in my life but its been 3-4 years since I lifted anything so I dont know where to even begin!
I don't have any great guidance unfortunately since each person is motivated differently.

Hitting up Google is my only suggestion. There are literally 1000s of fitness related sites.

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
I am a skinny guy. I am 6'2 and weight 180 pounds, add or take a few, and look skinny with a bit of a stomach. I dont believe that in 3 months time I cant gain a decent amount of muscle.
Ok but you said you were overweight in the OP.

I'm positive you can gain some but by a decent amount I'm assuming you want it to be pretty obvious you've been working out and not just a tiny difference. I'm yet to see anyone manage that in 3 months and without using steroids. It takes time to build. Not trying to discourage you though. If you go through with it pay a lot of attention to your diet and make sure you get enough proteins and stay on a small surplus of what you need daily caloriewise so you at least optimize your chances of gaining.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I am going on my first beach holiday with my gf in 3 months and I want to be able to take my shirt off and not be embarrassed. I have some dumb bells at my disposal to build up muscle. I can also cycle to burn off the fat. I am not running as I hate it.

I am slightly overweight and dont have much muscle. What should my work out plan be? Is the equipment I have enough to see a big difference 3 months from now? I dont want to go to a gym, I have in the past and did not enjoy it.
Monday, Wednesday, Friday - weights

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday - cardio 20 mins hiit

sunday - rest

Diet

*Eat 6 small meals per day spaced every 2-3 hours
*Combine 1 portion protein with 1 portion of carbs in every meal
*a portion is the size of your clenched fist
*add vegtables to at least 2 meals
*have at least 2 pieces of fruit per day (fruit is a portion of carbs)
*eat at least one serving of healthy fat per day e.g peanut butter, avocado, almonds, udo's oil etc...
*follow the diet 6 days per week mon to Saturday
*sunday is your free day. eat whatever you want

example diet

meal 1 - porridge, banana, protein shake

meal 2 - protein shake, apple

meal 3 - tuna sandwich with veg and salad, 1 spoon of udo's oil

meal 4 - protein shake, orange

meal 5 - chicken breast, broccoli, baked potatoe

meal 6 - low fat cottage cheese, peanut butter

I guarantee the results

·
Always Trying To Improve
100 Posts
The above is similar to the diet I used to lean down for the stage :) except less fruits and more brown rice and sweet potato.

The diet is there and the date to be ready by is there, now all you gotta do is avoid giving yourself any reason to find any excuses

·
Always Trying To Improve
100 Posts
I'm happy to share my contest prep training if you'd like but it is 5x weekly training for 12 weeks, I've posted a few photos in threads to show everyone results but if you are cautious I'm happy to show you the sort of results to expect.

How heavy are you? Do you know your body fat percentage,

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hey, I'd recommend going on a quick weight diet. If you can afford it the Nutrilett shakes are quite good. 5 shakes per day, or 4 shakes and a small meal. You get all the vitamins/proteins/carbs you need so you won't be hungry or feel lack of energy.

I recently did that myself. I'm 2 weeks in and lost 4-5 kgs :) With some workout in between and cutting out sugary drinks you'll see results in no time!
If you don't like running do some walks every day.

Good luck :)

·
Doing my own thing
2,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You can do bodyweight stuff, but you can get muscle a lot faster if you load your body more. What equipment do you have at home and how much does it weigh?
I have some dumbbells and a road bike for cardio. They dont weight much but enough to give me a challenge.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts