Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I need medication but im not sure how you go about that. I live in Ontario, and i'm 19 years old. If I get a perscription for a drug then would that show up on my parents insurance or does it vary depending on what coverage you have? Im just trying to gather information right now but will need it very soon because of presentations and all that other fun stuff coming up.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
will need it very soon because of presentations and all that other fun stuff coming up.
If you need something very soon then your only choices will be beta blockers (high blood pressure pills) that slow pulse, drop blood pressure, and are commonly used for "stage fright" situations where you'd otherwise turn red and feel like your heart was about to jump out of your chest.

The other choice would be benzodiazepines (Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, Ativan, etc.), but many doctors are paranoid sissy boys who fear controlled substances such as benzos.

I know that didn't answer your question about how to hide this from your parents. I assume it would depend on how your insurance works and if you have the ability to do things like intercept the mail so they never see any insurance statement that mentions stuff you don't want them to know.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why are you afraid of them finding out about it?
because they don't know I have social anxiety and it I simply told them I have it I can't imagine my life with them would ever be the same. Its really not an option.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
because they don't know I have social anxiety and it I simply told them I have it I can't imagine my life with them would ever be the same. Its really not an option.
Yeah I thought the exact same thing, and trust me, hiding it only makes things faaaar worse. I know it's a scary thought, and for me, it only came out when I felt my other option was suicide. Don't make the same mistake I did... it's only going to make things way more difficult down the road.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I thought the exact same thing, and trust me, hiding it only makes things faaaar worse. I know it's a scary thought, and for me, it only came out when I felt my other option was suicide. Don't make the same mistake I did... it's only going to make things way more difficult down the road.
i disagree. once your parents know everyone will know. word of mouth. Telling my parents is not an option at this point in my life.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
My pride would be destroyed for life. Not an option.
Pride? So are you ashamed of having a mental disorder, which you had no control over? It's not your fault you have SA, it's not anyone's fault, it just happens. I don't know your parents, or anybody else in your life, obviously, but I have a feeling they would understand, at least to some degree.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
i disagree. once your parents know everyone will know. word of mouth. Telling my parents is not an option at this point in my life.
This is the particularly destructive thing about social anxiety. It's the social anxiety itself that makes you CARE whether anyone else knows, and it totally gets in the way of getting better.

I remember telling my mom at first that my biggest problem was that I couldn't even tell her the problem in the first place. I still think that's a pretty apt way of putting it.

The point ultimately is, if you're ever going to effectively deal with social anxiety, you'll have to let go of that fear eventually - and believe me I understand how absolutely terrifying that can be. But it's easier and far more beneficial to do it when you're young and you still have your family to support you.

·
Registered
263 Posts
My pride would be destroyed for life. Not an option.
Kos, I hear you. I wouldn't want my parents or anyone else to know either. Allowing people to know your vulnerabilities doesn't "help" your cause. Wanting to keep your private affairs private has NOTHING to do with SA. Certainly some folks would need to know in order to help you, such as a doctor.

I wish I could give you advice on how to deal with this situation as I am not familiar with Canada health care or your particular coverage. By any chance are you in college? If so, many Universities offer student health services so you could avoid going through your families coverage

·
Registered
676 Posts
This is the particularly destructive thing about social anxiety. It's the social anxiety itself that makes you CARE whether anyone else knows, and it totally gets in the way of getting better.

I remember telling my mom at first that my biggest problem was that I couldn't even tell her the problem in the first place. I still think that's a pretty apt way of putting it.

The point ultimately is, if you're ever going to effectively deal with social anxiety, you'll have to let go of that fear eventually - and believe me I understand how absolutely terrifying that can be. But it's easier and far more beneficial to do it when you're young and you still have your family to support you.
Excellent point. While adderall has never really directly 'treated' my social anxiety or depression, I feel it saved my life in its ability to give me the confidence to not be so afraid to discuss it and deal with it rather than the previously more attractive alternative of suicide (which I would rather endure than the 'shame' of admitting my 'weakness').

As for the OP. I feel for you and have been in your shoes. Trust me, like meyaj says, it is your social anxiety which is causing you to inflate this to such a large degree. Its not that big of a deal, what would be a big deal and rather pathetic is not dealing with issues that directly effect the quality and enjoyment of life for you because maybe your parents are ignorant a-holes (which I seriously doubt they are but you certainly are talking about them as if they are; as if they would go and tell everyone they know about your personal business). By the way, if you suffer from social anxiety, one of both of your parents suffer from social anxiety to some degree or another (unless you endured some trauma that brought on your anxiety) although they may not be informed enough to have a name for it or they may just have been taught to deny and be ashamed of it as they seem to have taught you (my parents are this way, its totally part of their generation's 'up-tight' up-bringing). Your existence is simply a a combined blue print of both your parents (along with less significant, IMO, environmental factors).

·
mmm... donuts
168 Posts
If you need something very soon then your only choices will be beta blockers (high blood pressure pills) that slow pulse, drop blood pressure, and are commonly used for "stage fright" situations where you'd otherwise turn red and feel like your heart was about to jump out of your chest.

The other choice would be benzodiazepines (Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, Ativan, etc.), but many doctors are paranoid sissy boys who fear controlled substances such as benzos.

I know that didn't answer your question about how to hide this from your parents. I assume it would depend on how your insurance works and if you have the ability to do things like intercept the mail so they never see any insurance statement that mentions stuff you don't want them to know.
Both beta blockers and benzos are cheap, and might even cost less that what your copay would be if you use insurance. Just have insurance pay for the doctors visit and you pay for the medication. Shop around for the best price.

Your doctor will most likely want to prescribe an SSRI, which isn't a fast acting medication. Those aren't as cheap, but some of the generics aren't too bad. Looking around online, a 90 day supply of paxil at a medium dosage is $30 + S&H.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts