Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I was caught on campus passed out on a bench with an open container of Jaeger beside me. The cops treated me like I was a terrorist and the whole experience was extremely traumatizing. I got a letter from the prosecutor's office today offering to waive the charge if I agree to 16 hours of supervised community service. Does anybody know what community service under these circumstances typically entails? I looked up "supervised community service" and my palms got sweaty just reading what I found on judicial websites--feeding the elderly, helping autistic children, etc. I think I would rather have a permanent criminal record than subject myself to such excruciating situations. But I wanted other people's opinions first. Maybe I'll just have to get drunk before I show up for community service.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd opt for the community service. What's wrong with helping people? There are plenty of solitary community service jobs too... I knew someone who spent their community service in a library shelving books.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
Yeah, go for the community service. Explain to them that you have SA and they might give you something with less people interaction.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd opt for the community service. What's wrong with helping people? There are plenty of solitary community service jobs too... I knew someone who spent their community service in a library shelving books.
Obviously, it's not people being helped that I have a problem with, it's interacting with people. (This is the social anxiety forum, right?) I already have a crippling fear of being judged, I'm very easily humiliated, and showing up to do your court-ordered community service while everybody looks at you like you're trash is my worst nightmare. Every example on the judicial website that I checked out involves interacting with people. Was the community service that your friend did ordered through the courts?

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
What were you charged with? Public intoxication? I'd assume that's a low-grade misdemeanor, but I don't know the laws in your state.

Personally, I'd do the community service. But if you're dead set against it, talk to a real lawyer. Perhaps you can get away with a fine instead... a minor misdemeanor conviction isn't really a big deal.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Just explain about the anxiety, and if you have a therapist, get him or her to write you a note explaining it. Clearly state that you don't want to get out of doing the work, but that you get nervous around people, and you may be able to be given a job with less interaction.

Worse comes to worst, you'll have to face your fears head on, and you'll end up making friends and/or coping with your anxiety and being able to handle it in the future, which is what this site is all about...battling your fears and coping with social anxiety.

And the fear of being looked at as scum is completely irrational. I've done community service before, and everyone there was really friendly and definitely didn't look down on me. Some people volunteer for community service, and want to do it. I'd say you're likely blowing this out of proportion.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Wow, that's really harsh! I cant' believe they're so mean just because you passed out drunk! If they inflicted that kind of penalty on scottish people half the population would be doing community service ;)

·
Banned
2,799 Posts
That sucks, but take the community service. I had to do 50 hours of it for a DUI in 2002...and I did it by shelving books at the library. I got through it by counting down the hours in my head. Say to self, I never have to see these people again, as of 15 hours from now.

Just because we're all socially anxious doesn't mean we're all avoidant, remember. I know that if I'd avoided community service by taking a fine, I'd have felt like a weakling for letting my SA get the best of me. Don't let yours get the best of you.

·
Registered
516 Posts
lol, I'm sorry but the imagery of someone lying on the bench with a bottle of Jaeger makes me a laugh a little, I hope you see it the same way.

As for community service, its not that bad, I had to pick up trash and stuff at a public park. If you look at it through the perspective of doing something good for the community it kind of makes the whole thing a little rewarding.

·
Banned
2,689 Posts
You could do what people sometimes do with traffic tickets, ask for your day in court and hope the cops are too busy to show up for a small offense and the case gets dismissed.

p.s. Is this why its called the People's Republic of Maryland?

·
Registered
7 Posts
A few weeks ago, I was caught on campus passed out on a bench with an open container of Jaeger beside me. The cops treated me like I was a terrorist and the whole experience was extremely traumatizing. I got a letter from the prosecutor's office today offering to waive the charge if I agree to 16 hours of supervised community service. Does anybody know what community service under these circumstances typically entails? I looked up "supervised community service" and my palms got sweaty just reading what I found on judicial websites--feeding the elderly, helping autistic children, etc. I think I would rather have a permanent criminal record than subject myself to such excruciating situations. But I wanted other people's opinions first. Maybe I'll just have to get drunk before I show up for community service.
Hi - I don't think community service would be that bad but if you are really against it you could also go to court and fight it.

There is a couple of things you may want to consider first to see if you could acutally win. From reading your post it is unclear whether or not the cops did any sort of test to confirm whether or not the Jaeger was yours or not? Or if they did any sort of sorbriety test or other tests to confirm whether or not you were indeed intoxicated. From the sounds of it it is all circumstantial evidence - unless you confessed to being intoxicated or they did in fact do testing? I would also ask for a copy of the police report to see what it said and to see what it indicated.

For all they know you could have been taking a nap on the bench next to a bottle of Jaeger. (Again unless they did some sort of validation of their suscipcion or you admitted it).

If the police report doesn't have any hard evidence there is a good likelyhood that the charges will get thrown out. I would recommend that you get solid legal advice before proceeding with anything. But that will have to be your choice and will depend likely on your pocket book.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
Also, if you do the community service, it'll probably have something to do with alcohol rehabilitation. You probably won't be dealing with autistic kids or old people.

If it was me, I'd do the community service and get it over with. Imagine going to jail, that would be much more stressful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts