Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was diagnosed with SA a couple years ago. I suppose it was always something that I "knew" but I didn't know what to do about. I believe that everyone has some sort of social anxiety, we just need to learn how to work through it and other people feel it more strongly than others.

Anyway, we move into our new neighborhood a year ago and we absolutely love the house and the neighborhood. There is a forum specifically for the moms in our neighborhood on Facebook, and that is how I have found playgroups for my two daughters (ages 4 and 2), and how I have met other families in the neighborhood.

There is a teenage girl who enjoys roller skating through our neighborhood. I don't know why, but she has always made me feel very threatened. I am wondering if I am alone in this feeling (I will explain why later).

Someone posted about her on the forum asking that people talk to her about being more safe. She usually roller blades in the middle of the lanes through our neighborhood and several people said that they have almost run over her. She does not wear a helmet. It seems like these people are honestly concerned for her safety, and I am wondering why I am feeling threatened.

Honestly, when I see her, either driving myself or walking our dog around, I feel incredibly nervous. I feel like she is staring me down daring me to say something. Others have described her as a teen just seeking freedom and one who enjoys rollerblading. In my mind I can understand this, but it does not justify the emotions I feel when I see this person.

I need to know if there is anything to my gut or if I am in the wrong. I got into a major fight with my husband about it tonight, but I honestly feel threatened by this person because she seems to be doing it to show that she does not care about rules or authority. It seems to me that she is doing it just because she can.

And then I remember the teenager in me who loved to be free, and is wanting to live in freedom and without rules really such a bad thing? I am coming to an understanding within myself and all these negative emotions come crashing down. Perhaps it is me who is in the wrong. I am the one with the fear, she is the one with the freedom.

What do you think? Am I projecting my negative emotions onto her? Is this a result of SA?

·
blob
1,221 Posts
i think maybe your anxiety makes you imagine and assume things about her. maybe you feel threatened because she shows confidence, and possible authority, in a sense. i know when it comes to me, i feel nervous and very shy when around confident people. i feel like theyre above me and better than me

but yea, i would just say to try not to worry about her, shes just going about her business i'm sure

1 - 2 of 2 Posts