Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just wanted to get some feedback and see if what I'm going through sounds familiar to anyone out there. I've been dealing with this problem for as far back as I can remember. Since i was little, i never really felt comfortable around people. Even people in my own family. I always was told I was just really shy and I believed that. I'm 25 now and I don't think that's what it is. I always feel like people are judging everything about me. When I talk to people, I don't hear what they're saying most of the time because I'm comsumed with the thought that I'm making a weird face or saying something stupid. I start sweating sometimes when I feel like that. It's hard for me to make friends so I really don't have any. I would say there are about 3 people in the world that I feel like I can be myself around. This problem has made me just want to stay in bed most of the time and watch tv. It's the reason why I stopped going to highschool and didn't graduate though I was smart. It's the reason why I got into drugs as a teenager because they made me lose my inhibitions. Although I went to college and have a "successful" career, I never feel comfortable in my own skin and I don't think anyone takes me seriously in my job. This has caused me to lose many jobs because I just don't want to go to work and I call out a lot, making up big stories why I couldn't go. I recently had an experience at my last job where I let someone do something inappropriate to me because I didn't want them to think I was strange for not liking it. This caused me to seek help. I never really told my psycologist any of this, I just said I was having panic attacks. He put me on Paxil and for the first time in my whole like I just felt "normal", like I could be me. Unfortunatley it had sexual side effects that were ruining my marriage so I stopped it. I also stopped seeing my doctor. Now I feel like I'm even worse than I was when I started because I know what it's like to feel normal now. I was just wondering if there's anyone out there who's going through this and if any medications worked for you. I don't want to be stuck inside of myself anymore.....

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome to SAS, FeelinBad! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey feelinbad :wel

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Hi feelinbad, welcome to the forums :)

I can relate to how you are feeling. People always assumed that I was just shy as well (actually they still do), and I believed it for years. Now i've realised that it's not that i'm shy, like you I just don't feel comfortable in my own skin. I too find it difficult to be around even my own family - my brother and his wife have just had a baby boy, and i'm so frustrated that I don't feel able to go and see him, i'm just too nervous. I'm not sure which medication can really help you - i've been using Stablon/Tianeptine and it doesn't really seem to have done anything, so i've come off of it. It seems that medications for sa either numbs your feelings, making you feel zombie-like, or have side-effects. I really not sure what the best way is to overcome feeling this way. I've been using exposure therapy to try to lessen my anxieties - going out scares me to death, but i've been forcing myself to go out and do things, and it has made things easier to do. The biggest problem I have now is talking to people - I still can't do it.

I'd love to tell you how to overcome your sa, but the best I can do is tell you that I know what you are going through, and that you aren't alone in how you feel. I hope you stick around on these forums, for me it has been the best thing i've done in a long while. It hasn't cured my sa, but it has helped a lot, and i've met some wonderful people. I hope it does the same for you :)

Take care,

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts