Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My classes started on Monday and theyre not very hard, but some have some many people that makes me really anxious. Some stuff I do is breathe through my nose, do little sketches everywhere to help me relax and try to only pay attention to the teacher.

Anything else you can suggest.

Last year, I had major panick attacks because of my communications class, so it made me sick for the whole day and I skipped and failed some of my classes.
This year I'm determined to keep a positive attitude about school and try to ignore the distractions, even though its really hard. I'm dreading going tommorow to my english class, were going to talk to other students and introduce each other.... grrr, why do they have to do that?? such a torture :fall I'm thinking of skipping tommorow, but if I do, I dont get the 20 extra points, which could help me later.

I also need to call this clinic to make an appointment wih psychiatrist to get some happy pills to help with my anxiety, but I have major phone phobia and have been avoiding to call them....I'm such a loser...

I dont know what to do... really need some advice from ya'll :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
One thing that helps me is to sit in the back or at least near the back. I always get this feeling that people are watching me when I sit closer to the front. In the back, I am more relaxed, which makes it easier to stay focussed (or fall asleep ;) ).

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feel watched towards the front as well, so I'll try for the back of the class.
To calm myself down, I try to focus on the teacher more, as well.
I sometimes tell myself that if things don't run so smoothly between the other students and I, that I'll probably never have to see them again once I'm finished school, so who cares what they think of me now?
I don't know..it seems to help. :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you're in college, pretty much no one knows each other on the first day anyway, so no one will know you as shy and quiet. I don't mind it when the professor makes us introduce ourselves to the people sitting around us and do some dumb getting to know you exercise with them. What I hate is when we have to stand up and say something interesting about ourselves. That blows but doesn't mke me too anxious.... What I hate about classes in college is actually during the mid-semester when everyone else in my class finally seems comfortable to chat with each other and speak up in class, unlike during the first few weeks when everyone's pretty quiet. That's when I begn to feel weird and left out.

Anyways, it'd probably help prevent distractions if you sat in front of the class. It really does help you focus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.