Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I was on Fluoxetine 10mg for about 6 weeks, and I didn't feel anything, so I raised it to 20mg. After just few days, I started to feel huge improvements in my depression problems, OCD, and specially social anxiety. And I didn't have suicidal inclinations anymore. After about a month, I visited my psychiatrist again, and he advised me to raise it to 40mg. For some reasons*, plus the fact that I did not trust him much, I did something foolish. I decided to change to Sertraline. So I stopped taking Fluoxetine, waited 4 days, and then started taking Sertraline 50mg.

It's been 8 days now (so 12 days from stopping Fluoxetine), and I'm having my depression, OCD and social anxiety back. I don't want my suicidal thoughts come back, because it hurts me so much. Besides that, I'm having insomnia (or maybe it's a change in sleep cycle, idk), plus sexual dysfunction. Now, I want good results back, as soon as possible. What should I do, continue Sertraline or changing back to Fluoxetine? Does Fluoxetine kick in quickly this time? Please don't advise me talking to the psychiatrist, that's not an option for me right now.

*Some of the reasons I decided to change to Sertraline:

- I was having lowered blood pressure with Fluoxetine. I have always had a low blood pressure, so this extra drop was annoying. I feared that 40mg Fluoxetine may make it worse.

- While on Fluoxetine, I didn't have much difficulties falling asleep, but the quality of the sleep was awful.

- My brother, who has problems similar to mine, has had not a good experience with high doses of Fluoxetine, and said that Sertraline is working much better for him.

- Whenever I take Metoclopramide, which is a Dopamine antagonist, it makes me awfully depressed. So I thought maybe I have some problems with my Dopamine levels. Thus, Sertraline which has some small Dopamine reuptake inhibition effect may be a better choice.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried Fluvoxamine very briefly, but I can't take it because it made me so dizzy that I literally almost fell in the floor several times after standing up. I was on Sertraline for a long time and it was better, but I still had weird side effects from it. I had these strange electrical zapping sensations in my brain and left arm; especially when turning my head to merge into traffic on the interstate. SCARY!!! LOL So, I weaned myself off the sertraline. I did good for a while without it, but now I'm in the process of finding a med that I can take where the benefits outweigh the side effects I get. I would go with what your psychiatrist said and try that; you can always change it if it doesn't work. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.

I forgot to say, since the time I'm on Sertraline, my eyes often go black when I stand up. If side effect don't disappear in the next few days, I have to change back to Fluoxetine.

What I need to know now is: Has my body gone through a reset about Fluoxetine? It will take 4-8 weeks for Fluoxetine to work again?

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
I was on fluoxetine and was switched by my GP to sertraline. Sertraline was terrible for me so I got myself switched back to fluoxetine and it was a lot better. However whether or not switching back works for you, and how long it takes, differs from person to person, so it is impossible to give a concrete answer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was on fluoxetine and was switched by my GP to sertraline. Sertraline was terrible for me so I got myself switched back to fluoxetine and it was a lot better. However whether or not switching back works for you, and how long it takes, differs from person to person, so it is impossible to give a concrete answer.
How long did it take for you to work again? And how long were you on Sertraline?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you get dizzy when this happens as well? Is it because your blood pressure is low and you are experiencing orthostatic hypotension when you stand?
Yes, and my head aches for seconds. And today once this happened I measured my blood pressure: 82 over 54.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts