Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
pain helps a lot
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi everyone, i'm new here. i have a dr's appt tomorrow and would like advice on what meds to suggest. i've tried: celexa, zoloft, trazodone, welbutrin, nortriptyline, ativan, and i'm currently on paroxetine 30mg. and clonazepam .5 mg 2x daily. NOT WORKING, of course. i've been on this combo since august of last year; i like the clonazepam....but i become too tolerant too quickly. this is the 2nd time i've been on it and it makes me "normal" for a month and then i need to up the dosage. and now i feel depressed on top of the everyday fear, anxiety, and avoidance. i toss and turn all night, have no energy, and i feel like if i die right now.....who cares.
i've been reading some posts here in the forum and i'm interested in remeron because of the sedating properties that are already in it. maybe i wouldn't need the klonopin. i also don't have insurance so am interested in anything on walmart's $4 list. i notice remeron isn't there.
any takers?
btw i have sa, panic w/agoraphobia, and gad. just in case you thought i was an impostor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have gotten the most benefit from propranolol (beta blocker). It does nothing for the mental experience of anxiety, but it kills the physical response. When the physical response is gone, it is much easier to deal with the mental aspect of it.

If your anxiety is primarily mental, then it will do you no good.

I also take Lexapro. It helps some.

·
pain helps a lot
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, i'm primarily mental, all right!!! ha.
my husband took atenolol for a heart condition but stopped it because he hated the way he felt on it. i could see how awful he felt.
i will admit the paxil helps a little. i can do more on it than on nothing. i've learned that i have to overcome the fear of getting to the doc and talking to her so i can get meds to survive even just a little. i have a history of taking meds for a year then weaning off so i don't have to go out in the big scary world and see the doc and the pharmacist and everyone else at walmart. and then i get worse than before and have to go through hell just to make myself go back to the doc for the small help she gives me.....see, i told you i was primarily mental!

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
Remeron cost me about $70 without insurance for a 30 day supply. The dose was 30mg or 45mg. If you are primarily looking for sedation, then you should try a lower dose (7.5mg or 15mg). Remeron works better as a sleep aid at lower doses. These would cost less than $70/month supply.

If you are looking for a cheaper alternative then you should consider Doxepin (Sinequan). It is a sedating antidepressant and it is on the walmart's 4$ list.

Amitriptyline is another sedating anti depressant on the Walmart's 4$ list. Since you have already tried nortriptyline (active ingredient of Amitriptyline) unsuccessfully, I am not sure how helpful Amitriptyline will be.

You could always go up on the Trazodone too. I don't know the dose you are taking but the normal dose range for it for insomnia is 25 - 100mg.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
my husband took atenolol for a heart condition but stopped it because he hated the way he felt on it. i could see how awful he felt.
Not a typical reaction to atenolol at all. When I took it I felt no effect, but when checking BP and pulse the effect was obvious with both much lower.

·
pain helps a lot
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a typical reaction to atenolol at all. When I took it I felt no effect, but when checking BP and pulse the effect was obvious with both much lower.
well, my husband doesn't really "believe" in medication. his idea of a cure all is exedrine. that's all he'll take. the first time he had to take the atenolol, he told me he took it but i knew him better, searched him and found it in his belly button....no lie!
so i'm guessing he has a low tolerance for anything that isn't exedrine.

·
pain helps a lot
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are looking for a cheaper alternative then you should consider Doxepin (Sinequan). It is a sedating antidepressant and it is on the walmart's 4$ list.

Amitriptyline is another sedating anti depressant on the Walmart's 4$ list. Since you have already tried nortriptyline (active ingredient of Amitriptyline) unsuccessfully, I am not sure how helpful Amitriptyline will be.

You could always go up on the Trazodone too. I don't know the dose you are taking but the normal dose range for it for insomnia is 25 - 100mg.
i've never heard of doxepin. i'll look into that.
the nortriptyline was pretty good but i gained 40lbs. on it, which would probably also happen if i try remeron, right? i lost all that weight when i was on welbutrin.
and ughhhh to the trazodone. that crap gave me the worst "hangovers" ever.
thanks for all the info. i have a lot to talk to my doctor about tomorrow.:no oh yeah, i don't like in person conversation.....damn

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
i've never heard of doxepin. i'll look into that.
the nortriptyline was pretty good but i gained 40lbs. on it, which would probably also happen if i try remeron, right? i
Remeron causes weight gain by increasing appetite. If on it, you feel hungry but convince yourself it is the medication that is causing you to feel this way and that you don't need to eat more (which can be a hard thing to do), you may not put on any weight. Average weight gain seems to be 5 to 10lbs.
There is lower weight gain at higher doses (45mg and up) but there is less sedation too.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Remeron cost me about $70 without insurance for a 30 day supply. The dose was 30mg or 45mg. If you are primarily looking for sedation, then you should try a lower dose (7.5mg or 15mg). Remeron works better as a sleep aid at lower doses. These would cost less than $70/month supply.
Despite the claims, I've found from experience that remeron will make you sleepy at ANY dose, I currently take 45 mg and it puts me to sleep for a solid 10 hours every night.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Remeron cost me about $70 without insurance for a 30 day supply. The dose was 30mg or 45mg.
It can be had for less than that.

Mirtazapine - 45mg Tablets
Quantity Our Price
30 tablets $45.99
90 tablets $116.96
100 tablets $129.96
120 tablets $155.95
150 tablets $194.94
180 tablets $233.93
If that rule about not being allowed to name even legitimate online pharmacies is in place, I can't publicly post where that price is from.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts