Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this under relationships because it is about about me relating to someone although not in a romantic way. Anyway - I need advice please.

I found an ad on the internet where someone was looking for a table tennis partner. A guy looking for a female partner. My initial tought was that he was trying to get to know women but it has really been very difficult to find someone to play with so I thought I could give it a shot.

I sent an email and he got back in touch. I then had a (little) knee injury and couldnt play for a couple of weeks. We stayed in touch by email and he sent me the link to his myspace and his homepage so I have a fair idea who he is.

We were supposed to meet up today and I chickened out at the last minute. The reason: He sent me an email at the beginning of the week with just a couple of lines. He asked how my knee was and then said that he was going to the park right now and then his cell number. Maybe he was just being relaxed about meeting a stranger but it was a little too spontaneous for me.

I sent an email suggesting today instead and he sent me one back with a link to a new page on his website with lots of pics of his flat and the sentence: 'Step by any time'. I found that overfamiliar and it made me feel uncomfortable but the page really looked like an ad for the flat. I googled him and found that he actually has 2 appartments in the same building and is advertising for tenants for the second flat. So I suppose he was simply advertising even in his email to me???

Then he send me a text yesterday afternoon (I had sent him my number by email after he had sent me his) asking me whether I wanted to meet up right then. I didnt feel comfortable with that (again) and texted back that I was at the other end of town. He texted that he would call me in the morning to agree a time for today. He called and I was still asleep. He rang twice and then I texted that I would ring him back.

I didnt call. I somehow felt that he was being pushy and that made me feel uncomfortable and a little worried for my safety.

After two hours I felt guilty about not getting back to him at all because he could have been a totally normal guy. So I texted that I was sorry and that I had just suddenly felt uncomfortable. He then called me. I was very surprised but picked up. He sounded nice actually and told me that it was only table tennis in the park and that there was no need to be worried. I didnt want to admit what exactly had made me feel uncomfortable so I said that I had never met up with someone from the internet and that that was the reason. I was really rejecting and didnt give him a chance to reply really.

So now I sit here and wonder whether I made a mistake.

·
Registered
290 Posts
yes i think you made a mistake, it could of been fun! next time you call or text him to make plans and meet up even if you're scared. i think it's ok as long as it's a public place.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Tread carefully and only meet up in a busy area. Or get someone to go with you. Something sounds a bit off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I don't think anything sounds off.

Of course, you want to be cautious. Meet somewhere public and get to know him. A mall, a busy part of town, etc.

It sounds like you're just overthinking things. As for why he wants a female partner, well... duh, he's probably interested in meeting women.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I think it's normal to feel uncomfortable meeting someone in person that you met on the web. If you do decide to go and meet up with him, like Graye said, meet up in a public place and take someone with you so that you feel more secure.

·
insert witty comment here
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that a couple of days have gone by I feel that I took the right decision.

I have met up with people from the internet before (of course always in public places) and have never had such a funny feeling about someone.

Whatever it was, I am not prepared to take risks like that.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :yes

·
Registered
33 Posts
Now that a couple of days have gone by I feel that I took the right decision.

I have met up with people from the internet before (of course always in public places) and have never had such a funny feeling about someone.

Whatever it was, I am not prepared to take risks like that.

Thanks for the replies everyone. :yes
If in doubt, don't! :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts