Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

After suffering from this crap for far too long, in recent weeks I have tried to push myself out of my comfort zone in an attempt to overcome my anxiety. However recently I have been invited to two parties (both 18th birthday parties) by some of my old school friends from a previous school.

The issue is that I haven't contacted any of them since I left mainly due to SA and so I have no idea what they are like/if they are still as they used to be.

Each party has about 90 or so people going (according to the bane of my life, Facebook) of which probably 20 or so used to be good friends of mine. However my issue is that I am worried that if I go i will just freeze up and be standing alone somewhere talking to no one/looking like a complete reject.

Anyway here are my main questions:

1) Both parties state that there is a bar inside but say that people are welcome to bring their own alcohol. Are these bars normally free or do you still have to pay? (The parties are at village halls)

2) Dress code = smart casual. So I guess casual shoes (no trainers), jeans and a shirt (no tie)?

3) should I drink alcohol? I haven't had alcohol in probably 2 or so years (never really had it excessively though) I feel that I will need something to calm my nerves as otherwise I will be a wreck.

4) A photographer is being hired to one of them, as I will most likely be turning up on my own how will I get past this? (I assume he is one of those that stays at the entrance)

5) Anyone else been in this situation? How did it go? Do's/Don'ts

This is potentially a big opportunity for me to get back my social life and to build my confidence again as currently I have no social contact with anyone outside of school which is debilitating... So I think I am up for the challenge.

Any comments/help will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
500 Posts
The only thing you can do is choose to go or not. Sometimes I get really nervous about going to social events, once I get there everything is cool. So just go.

·
Banned
195 Posts
My initial advice would be not to go, but I don't know how bad your social anxiety is. Since a party is usually relatively brief you could take something before you go. The problem is that most of the effective short term anti-anxiety drugs also are pretty good at putting you to sleep. My first choice would be 1-2 mg of zolpidem because that has a disinhibitory effect.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts