Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on Xanax for 10 years (as needed), and have mixed in some Inderal to help with my tremors. I was actually pretty symptom free for a few years after losing some weight and exercising regularly. Recently I started a new job where I have to use a propane torch and solder and my shakey hands are a problem.

I tried increasing from 20mg Inderal to 60mg and 80mg a couple times, and there was improvement, but still some twitches when I've had the torch in hand. My doctor does not want me taking Xanax everyday (of course), but this seems to get the job done better than anything else I have tried.

Can anyone recommend some other meds to try? Possibly a different beta blocker that could last longer? Should I try and convince my doc I could limit the Xanax to 4 or 5 times per week, giving myself the weekends off? Try a different doc who isn't anti-benzo? I really need this job and would hate to quit over something that is treatable.

·
Member of SAS
1,868 Posts
From what I know, the best two types of Beta Blockers for treating anxiety related symptoms are Propranolol and Atenolol, with the latter supposedly being the strongest/most effective you can get. Maybe ask your doc about trying Atenolol and see if there is an improvement. Btw, I got Xanax and Prop. prescribed to me as well and they both seem to do the trick.

·
Member of SAS
1,868 Posts
I take between 20-40mg of Prop depending on the situation and usually around .75-1mg of Xanax. If you want a longer lasting Inderal effect then you might need to simply take another dosage. There was another recent post here about someone who wanted to look into the extended release form of Propranolol instead of the normal/instant release kind. Maybe you should look into that as well if you want a longer lasting effect form of the med. I take Xanax as needed too and when you ask if you can take it 4-5 days a week, I'd be a little skeptical as far as tolerance/dependence goes. The most I've taken was a dosage of .75-1mg 3 days a week (non-consecutive) and from that I am alright. But again anything more than that, I would really have to be careful with. Especially if you are looking to take it consecutive days in a row which it seems so because you say it is for work. It's better to go on and off with breaks here and there if possible.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I visit the doc tomorrow. I think I will ask to try atenolol. Hopefully I can get a nice large dosage of that and a renewal on the Xanax.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
I visit the doc tomorrow. I think I will ask to try atenolol. Hopefully I can get a nice large dosage of that and a renewal on the Xanax.
Thats not nececierly better. Atenolol is a selective blocker, while Propranolol is non selective (works on more receptors). Perhaps an antihistamine could work on calming down the nervous system...

Been kinda in your shoes though but with TIG-welding... And yeah lay of caffeine and nicotine...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Darn, just got a 50mg per day script for Atenolol. How does the dosage compare between those 2 beta blockers? Doc said that is the highest she can prescribe without seeing how it affects me first. Good news is I am clear to keep taking Xanax "a few times a week".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts