Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an external hard drive as a backup about a year ago and now its not working. The green light turns on but I can't find the drive on My Computer. Before I bought it was told that they are not reliable. Is this true? If so I'm thinking of just buying another computer and just using it to back up my files. Or are there any external hard drives that are reliable enough to last at least three years? I need about 280GB of space.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Nope. External hdd's can fail at any time. And even though I'm aware of it, I have 2 1tb external hdd's(geek+hoarder :p) that are almost full. The first option I thought about was buy another pair of external hdd's as a backup. While they are pretty cheap these days, I can't afford any more 1tb ones. Then dual layer dvd or blu ray came across my mind, but they too are expensive and still too small in storage capacity for my enormous amount of data.

You could buy an external ssd as a last resort, which can get extremely expensive depending on how much storage you need.(a 256gb is at least $500+ iirc) I'm taking a wild guess, but it should last at least a few decades or longer. They also read/write faster, produce less heat, and are quieter than hdd's. Very reliable if you can afford one. For me I'm going to remove as much data as possible, get a small backup hdd and wait for the ssd price to drop.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that sucks. $500? i guess i'll just get a netbook instead. i have a laptop but it doesnt have enough space in the HD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts