Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Harvestor Of Sorrow
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out. I have a pc that is running windows xp professional. Anyway, I need a free anti-virus program with a built in firewall. I tried AVG, and it's been good so far, but they will only let me have it free for a month. Any suggestions. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Avast. I've been using it religiously for the past 4 years and it's been great. From previous threads in this subforum, a lot of others agree with me. Only things I suggest doing with the newest version of Avast is turning off the AutoSandbox Protection under the "Additional Shields" tab, as I find it gets quite annoying at times, and turning off the sounds (if it bothers you).

http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

·
Optimism Prime~
7,122 Posts
Avast. I've been using it religiously for the past 4 years and it's been great. From previous threads in this subforum, a lot of others agree with me. Only things I suggest doing with the newest version of Avast is turning off the AutoSandbox Protection under the "Additional Shields" tab, as I find it gets quite annoying at times, and turning off the sounds (if it bothers you).

This post for the win :D

·
Custom User Title
4,231 Posts
AVG?

·
Registered
67 Posts
AV Comparatives does independent testing of the major AntiVirus Products. (Apparently so does http://www.av-test.org)

rockyraccoon said:
I tried AVG, and it's been good so far, but they will only let me have it free for a month.
You can download the free version of AVG from http://free.avg.com.

I have been recommending MSE to people lately. It's easily available and installed and totally free. The only issue is that it didn't perform that well on the retrospective tests.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Aye, go AVG. I've used free AVG form any years and I've only had one malware blip which was my fault for not recognising it.

·
Day Of The Dead
945 Posts
I used to use AVG but then I got this new laptop and AVG caused it to freeze, so I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials. Working great so far, too. No complaints.

·
Fading Away
564 Posts
Well there's Avast Free Antivirus, I've never used it but you could try it.

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
I used to use AVG but moved to Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). I install it on all the systems I build for people.

AVG is still very good, but I prefer MSE for its quick scan and individual file scanning which AVG doesn't do.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
I used AVG for a long time, but the newest version slowed my computer down to a crawl whenever the updater was running so I deleted it. I've been running MSE for about two weeks now and so far no problems.

·
unstable
2,590 Posts

+1, been using Avast for several years with no virus, the last time I had a virus was back in the day when I let a Norton trial run out, thinking my computer was invincible. And I was a frequent user of Kazaa/Morpheus/Limewire. Needless to say, I had a traumatizing event. :um

What does the AutoSandbox do? Mine seems to be enabled but I've never seen it do anything.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts

This ^
I should really try to beat Gunny to the punch, as it seems me and Gunny have terribly similar opinions on techinical subjects.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
What does the AutoSandbox do? Mine seems to be enabled but I've never seen it do anything.
I had Autosandbox going off all the time on me, because a lot of stuff I "obtain" on the internet needs to be cracked and whatnot. It pretty much looks for .exe's that seem unsafe, then runs the .exe in a virtual environment. If the .exe tries doing something funky, it won't have any chance of touching your computer. Downside is if it's an installer for a program I don't think you can AutoSandbox it.

I guess to put it weirdly, think of kids at a park that has a sandbox, with really high walls and a door to get in. One of the kids might be sick, so you toss him in the sandbox alone, lock the door, and then there's no chance of sickness spreading. The kid can still play and whatnot, but not mess with the others :b (That's a terrible explanation, I know :teeth)

Also:

This ^
I should really try to beat Gunny to the punch, as it seems me and Gunny have terribly similar opinions on techinical subjects.
You can try, but you'll never catch me!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Well, I have a mac using bootcamp for Windows 7 Pro. On Windows side, I use Avast! but on Mac side, I click on all the crazy links I want who wants to really hack a Mac? :p

·
Registered
10,387 Posts
Well, I have a mac using bootcamp for Windows 7 Pro. On Windows side, I use Avast! but on Mac side, I click on all the crazy links I want who wants to really hack a Mac? :p
There are about 400 known pieces of Mac malware in circulation, so I wouldn't be to complacent.

The numbers are growing all the time as well as Mac's become more popular so in turn become more attractive to hackers. At the moment Mac's account for so little of the market they aren't worth the vast majority of hackers time making malware for them. It's the unfortuante side effect of being so popular that means the vast majority of malware is Windows based.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, I can still tell which are the legit links and which ones are keyloggers, viruses, etc.

But there is still more freedom on Mac (for now). Too bad that Macintosh doesn't support half of the stuff that Windows does.

·
B 2 Lonely
1,077 Posts
i use a combination of MSE as well as Malwarebytes. MSE does well at scanning incoming files, but for my usage, malware bytes is worth the 25$ lifetime fee (free updates, almost everyday). site protection and good removal is what i needed, and for my usage, it's worked really well so far.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.