Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Being human liek aye baws
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interestingly, I haven't come across a topic that specifically adheres to mentioning/addressing this.

So, who out there with SA all has this :)

Basically your neck is pretty much almost always tense/in slight to moderate pain, and in an intense social situation it will actually spasm (where you have no control and it just jerks like crazy). At least, this is how it is for me. Even not being in a social situation it is in pain and whatnot.

Apparently this isn't as common as I suspected it would be with people with SA... it's a huge part of my SA problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interestingly, I haven't come across a topic that specifically adheres to mentioning/addressing this.

So, who out there with SA all has this :)

Basically your neck is pretty much almost always tense/in slight to moderate pain, and in an intense social situation it will actually spasm (where you have no control and it just jerks like crazy). At least, this is how it is for me. Even not being in a social situation it is in pain and whatnot.

Apparently this isn't as common as I suspected it would be with people with SA... it's a huge part of my SA problem.
My neck doesn't usually spasm, but most of the time it hurts. The only time it really doesn't hurt is when I'm relaxing in bed or something.. Maybe try stretching it in the mornings? That might help to release some of the stress build up!

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On Monday actually I went to a physical therapist. My and his guess is exactly that--just *several* years of bad posture. The normal anterior-posterior curve that's suppose to be in my neck has been straightened cuz of that terrible posture, and so we have to fix that. lol xP

For the past few months I've had great sitting/walking/posture but it was doing nothing, which is why I ended up going to the therapist.

Thing is, I wonder if this being fixed will remedy all of the neck pain and occasional spasm...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Cub,

Im afraid if it spasms in social situations when you are nervous it makes more sense that it is psychologically triggered and not bad posture.
I have a severe version of it. At first it started like you described, a spasm, and over the past 2 years its developed into a horrible problem where if I feel nervous or that I am being somehow challenged or analysed my neck stiffens like a seizure and my head shakes trying to control it and my eyes move downwards its absolutely a horrible feeling. I was somehow controlling it or it wasnt happeneing to me much until I went drinking the other night very heavily and now it has come back again. Im in my thirties and have had a social phobia since my teens when I was put into a mixed school suddenly.

All I can suggest is try cognitive behavioural therapy? Maybe someone else has a better suggestion?

Matthew

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The spasm can actually still occur (though it is barely noticeable) by myself, it is simply greatly exasperated in certain social situations.

It's just an outlet for the anxiety and tension, in my opinion. It's also probably related somehow to the TMD I probably have. Blehhh.

·
Banned
1,662 Posts
I get tensetion, spasming and tendenitices. Areas efected are neck, face and legs.

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awwwh. So the physical therapy stuff is going great, it's definitely doing something for my neck pain, stiffness and spasm... I'm so excited. xD

Next week I'm tackling the fourth aspect of my SA - TMD; facial pain, soreness, and ear popping... so maddening. (Interestingly, the physical therapy seems to be doing something for that facial stiffness and pain... hmm). xP

I predict with these two things gone... my SA may just eradicate itself. o:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi Cub,

Im afraid if it spasms in social situations when you are nervous it makes more sense that it is psychologically triggered and not bad posture.
I have a severe version of it. At first it started like you described, a spasm, and over the past 2 years its developed into a horrible problem where if I feel nervous or that I am being somehow challenged or analysed my neck stiffens like a seizure and my head shakes trying to control it and my eyes move downwards its absolutely a horrible feeling. I was somehow controlling it or it wasnt happeneing to me much until I went drinking the other night very heavily and now it has come back again. Im in my thirties and have had a social phobia since my teens when I was put into a mixed school suddenly.

All I can suggest is try cognitive behavioural therapy? Maybe someone else has a better suggestion?

Matthew
My neck/head shake thing is awful after a bender.
I almost don't want to leave the house to go to the shops, lest it hit whilst I'm giving money to the cashier. The nervousness inexplicably hits and my head moves towards my right shoulder and my hand shakes absurdly as I combat it.

Hear ya pain.

J

·
Registered
4 Posts
In this scenario i suggest u for the physical therapy it is the only good option which will help u in a very good manner i have seen so many people after get rid of all these kind of pains after physical therapy.....

·
SAS Member
722 Posts
I used to get this nervous tick where my head would shake from left to right. The first few times, it was a really violent motion. It'd happen when I made eye contact. It was so weird because I got these before I even fully developed my SA. So the first couple of times I didn't know what was happening to me. I rarely have them anymore, but occasionally I'll get one and while its embarrassing, they're not as bad as they used to be. In social situations, I'm usually very tense because I'm afraid that I'll get one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I used to have severe tension/pain in the neck and shoulders. I also had a chronic headache. I still have some stiffness in the neck and shoulders but my headache has almost disappeared. I had chiropractic therapy and massage, but those physical therapies didn't work much for me. The tension/pain seemed to have been alleviated as my anxiety level was lowered.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't have them but another woman in an SA group that met in person had them. She eventually was having to take some kind of medication for it as it was getting worse. You probably should talke to a doctor about it, as it can do some physical damage. Yoga or some kind of other relaxation might help your muscles.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.