Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...get a song in your head and walk to the rythym...I'm a bit of a doom metalhead so i have some slow rythyms going on but use what suites you and the situation. Head up, chin tucked down a bit, chest out, back slightly arched but try to be very relaxed. You have a right to occupy space...do so.

Edit: Also no headphones or earbuds...embrace/face your surroundings.

·
The Round Circle
733 Posts
I find Slipknot / DethKlok / anything you can't actually imagine the rythm of as it's way too fast helps soothe me and aid in my walking.

Death metal aside, I'd just like to pitch in and say; always try to look forward with your head up when walking, I find when I'm anxious my head droops down or I look at things in my peripheral vision, it's a constant battle to keep myself from doing those things. If you give in you'll just feel more awkward and look odd.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doom metal is quite different from Death metal Saekon...although i walk to Amon Amarth/Bolt Thrower when i'm pissed.

·
Freedom is lurking
809 Posts
...get a song in your head and walk to the rythym...I'm a bit of a doom metalhead so i have some slow rythyms going on but use what suites you and the situation. Head up, chin tucked down a bit, chest out, back slightly arched but try to be very relaxed. You have a right to occupy space...do so.

Edit: Also no headphones or earbuds...embrace/face your surroundings.
I do this, too. Different music, or sometimes simply pleasurable thoughts/memories, but walking straight, head up and chest out does make me feel considerably more confident and at ease. And people around you react positively as well.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I find it funny, when someone walks all confident and headphones on, then someone ask them something and they are like :eek:.

I used to do it too though.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
Yeah, I usually have some driving force song in my head whenever I walk, especially in front of people. It helps.

I find it funny, when someone walks all confident and headphones on, then someone ask them something and they are like :eek:.

Yeah, that's very annoying. Usually because there are other people around too who aren't wearing headphones, yet they ask you. Obnoxious...

·
Registered
589 Posts
The bassline to Billie Jean works for me every time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thats why you want to keep your headphones off...you want to be aware of your surroundings and have the ability to interact with others. I live in NYC and so many people have their earpods in and it really is actually dangerous.(Cars, get jumped, etc...)

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
That's why you want to keep your headphones off...you want to be aware of your surroundings and have the ability to interact with others. I live in NYC and so many people have their earpods in and it really is actually dangerous.(Cars, get jumped, etc...)
I'm in NYC too and I don't feel like I have to keep my headphones off (that is, when I have them on which is not all the time). I'm usually more aware of my surroundings than most if not all people around me when I walk. I am active and just about fully conscious, even when I have headphones on. I am also able to sense something coming up from behind me as well.

When I talk to my dad on the phone he always tells me to watch out for my surroundings and I always have to point out that I feel like I'm the only one who sees what's going on around them.

·
Being human liek aye baws
425 Posts
I do this naturally quite often, actually. I love music. I wish people would randomly break out into musical numbers in public everywhere I went. It sets an unparalleled atmosphere and tone.

When I worked fast-food (I was typically on grill), while working during the lunch rushes I would simply work to the rhythm of a song I'd (not purposefully) acquired in my head earlier in the day, likely right before work in the car ride there.

·
Loveisloveisloveislove
2,785 Posts
Cub:1059483012 said:
I do this naturally quite often, actually. I love music. I wish people would randomly break out into musical numbers in public everywhere I went. It sets an unparalleled atmosphere and tone.
Me too!! I always wanted to go out and randomly see a musical breakout in front of me, maybe in a store or on a bus. It would be entertaining and would make for an interesting day.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts