Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Is Gender Identity caused by Nature or Nurture?

• Nature

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In terms of Nature or Nuture, what do you think is the reason for a persons Gender Identity (not to be confused with sex)? Personaly I think it's a little of both.

·
Registered
660 Posts
My impression of it is that some of it is nature, but then society goes and takes those natural traits and exaggerates them into roles or stereotypes.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
There are so many potential factors, who could know? Who really cares to know? Everything just is -- that is the best way to look at it as we walk through lives: one foot in front of the other.
:fall

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Gender and sex are different in that sex means that you're male or female. Gender is really the characteristics of males and females. I think as far as your personality goes it would be mostly nurture, how you're brought up. Parents bring up boys much differently than girls, and vice-versa. Physically though it's probably more stemed from nature. Such as your appearance, but then again that could fall into the category of sex too. Also if you're a boy or a girl you'll be more aware of that particular sex, and perhaps behave in ways specifically to that sex. There have been studies of hermaphrodites(people born with both sexes) where doctors and the parents have to decide which gender their child should be. In one case there was one who was brought up as a girl, and he did mostly girly things, but then eventually he started becoming confused and started acting more masculine. So I think there's a point where nurture fails and nature takes over. So it would probably be both(sorry for nonsensical rambling of a sociology student)

·
Registered
154,231 Posts
I think it is more of the nurture side of the spectrum. We may have a genetic predisposition, but that doesn't mean we have to turn out that way. Break the cycle!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Becky said:
It's nature. I saw this show about a family who had twin boys and the circumcision went wrong on the one boy and he lost his penis. They decided to remove his testicles and raise him as a girl. They tried to make him a girl, but he was all boy and meant to be a boy. In the end he was living as a man.
Jeez. =/ that's terrible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.