Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried any natural remedies for depression (vitamins, herbs, anything) that helped? I've started taking Fish-oil capsules b/c I heard those helped. xx

·
Registered
230 Posts
A lack of B12 can cause problems with your nevous system causing depression and anxiety so it's usally good to take a B complex.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've tried sjw, sam-e, and l-tyrosine. L-tyrosine worked the best for me. Sam-e worked at first but then didn't much later and increased stress. Sjw made me too fatigued and didn't really change anything.

What works for me may not work for you. You have to experiment yourself. Different herbs do different things and there is no one herb that will cure all types of depression.

Also B complex helps reduce stress. I took it once before sleep and i experienced a very vivid dream. It was a nightmare so it was pretty scary. I might try and do it again because i might be able to have a useful/pleasant vivid dream next time.

Good luck.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
If you have major, clinical depression please please PLEASE don't self-medicate as your sole means of treatment, go to a doctor or a therapist and be sure to coordinate your supplements with them.

Supplements and remedies that I would recommend for depression are: aerobic exercise, yoga, meditation, weightlifting, a multivitamin and a B-complex vitamin (focus on getting B12, B6, folate, and niacin at least), Omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil, chromium supplements, and epsom salt baths (20 minutes every other day).

On the fish oil thing, make sure to get at LEAST 3-6 grams of combined EPA/DHA. That may mean taking lots of pills, as you will soon realize. I take extra-strength pills so that I don't have to take as many, and I recommend enterically coated pills to minimize fishy burps. Flax seed oil is another source of omega-3s but it does not have near the same data backing it as a method of treating depression.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
I've tried different herbs, didnt feel any difference, not really suprised. I'm thinking of taking B12, I wonder if its linked to me not eating meat and having no energy. But I'll be calling this clinic to set up and appoitment and discuss it with my doctor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts