Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been drinking some herbal teas lately such as mint, boldo, romero etc. I have yet to see their effect. What are natural alternatives to curing OCD that have helped you along with therapy. I´d like to try all things natural first and if nothing works, then I guess medication will be the second alternative but I truly want to avoid it.

My ocd is both Pure O and obsessive compulsive.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There is no cure for OCD, only treatments. I suppose if it were 2,000 years ago when Jesus was still walking around, then I could maybe fall at his feet and grab the hem of his cloak, and then I might surely be cured, but that's just a dream. I would recommend trying therapy first, or if you're already doing that, just keep doing it, or find a better therapist. If your OCD is really severe, than doing medication at the same time as therapy would be a better idea. I understand why you want to try the natural route first over synthetic medications. If you do have to take meds, it should only be temporary, as a crutch to help you along witht the therapy. You should be able to wean off of the medication dosage when you notice that therapy becomes easier and easier.

I do enjoy having a warm cup of green tea every now and then and I do find it soothing, but it hardly has any effect on my OCD. I don't think any tea is going to improve your OCD, from an herbal point of view. One theory I have is that OCD is obviously triggered by anxiety and whatever you can do to help you relax more and keep your anxiety at bay will certainly lessen the onset of any OCD thoughts/activity. If you do find that having a cup of tea helps you relax, then by all means keep doing so. If you find anything else relaxing such as watching TV, listening to music, going for a walk, playing with the dog or cat, writing, painting, ect., then do those as well. The only thing that offers me a complete escape from my OCD is playing the guitar, so I try to do that as often as I can. That is, when I have the time of course. I wish you luck with your treatment.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts