Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on Nardil for 4 weeks now, which is not enough time for the good things to happen, only the bad apparently. I started on 15mg per day and finally the last couple of days was able to go to 45mg per day. The side effects have been pretty bad. So today I'm whining about it because it's labor weekend and i'm stuck in my apartment, can't go out, because I look "stoned" and shake all over. I'm off balance when I walk and slur like i'm drunk. it's all very embarrassng and obvious to people. i've already had to take days off of work and now i'm alone on the holiday.

Im frustrated because i really want nardil to work. It has lessened my GAD, but not the SA or depression. And i look and act stupid on it, and in general it has greatly affected my life in a negative fashion. the hypotension is bad enough where i can't workout anymore and I fall down for no freakin' reason. i've had a headache for 1 month straight.

Sorry for the rant. No one knows I'm on it, so i can only rant to y'all.

i'm determined to give it more time because it sucks going off and getting on something else, and i hope the side effects will diminish.

bleh...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Couragia, Giovanna! None of these meds are a magic bullet. In fact, a lot of us get very sick on them at first! Including me . . . I will never forget lurching around my house in a dizzy stupor after taking Remeron for the first time.

Nardil is a rather old-fashioned psych med. Would you care to tell us why you were put on it?

X, Gian

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nardil is a rather old-fashioned psych med. Would you care to tell us why you were put on it?
I was diagnosed with GAD, SA, and depression. I've tried some of the SSRI's, but I didn't like the apathy - I had no feelings and felt like a zombie. I'm hoping Nardil doesn't have that effect. I was on Elavil at one time, which helped with GAD, but did nothing for SA.

Also, i have bad headaches and my doc thinks Nardil might help. So far, my headaches have worsened, but i hope will improve in time.

·
nardil user since 2006
339 Posts
old fashioned psych med?? you make it sound like it outdated, and therefore inferior to the newer ssri meds, which it isn't btw.

the side effects you mentioned i don't think are common when you first take nardil or otherwise. i am on nardil for the past 3.5 years, 100% remmission from SA and depression, yes it effects everyone differently, but i've just never heard of these sorts of these extreme sides effects before. you're psychiatrist knows about these side effects??

·
Registered
128 Posts
how fast did you increase the dose? I went up to 45mg quickly IMO. 15mg for 4 days, then 30mg for 4 days and now ive been on 45mg for 11 days.

Not as long as you but I havent gotten any bad side effects that bother me. Do you adhere to the food restrictions?

I woudlnt be so quick to quit a medication w/o giving it proper time to work.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You might want to try parnate. For me, it has next to no side effects when compared with Nardil. It's also more effective.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how fast did you increase the dose? I went up to 45mg quickly IMO. 15mg for 4 days, then 30mg for 4 days and now ive been on 45mg for 11 days.

Not as long as you but I havent gotten any bad side effects that bother me. Do you adhere to the food restrictions?

I woudlnt be so quick to quit a medication w/o giving it proper time to work.
I increased slowly because i have low blood pressure and was worried about initial side effects. 15 mg for two weeks, 30 for one week, and this last week 30-45 mg per day.

I do adhere to the food restrictions. haven't had any problems with high blood pressure, seems it's the low blood pressure (not being able to "balance" myself very well) that's bothering me so much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am on nardil for the past 3.5 years, 100% remmission from SA and depression, yes it effects everyone differently, but i've just never heard of these sorts of these extreme sides effects before. ?
jjyiss, do you remember having any initial side effects when you started Nardil?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts