Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering trying Nardil.

Only thing I am a little worried about is the possibility of having an emergency surgery or something and the doctors not knowing you are on Nardil?

Maybe it is stupid to worry about something like that but you never know :/

do you guys wear a bracelet saying you are on Nardil?

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
No, just MAKE SURE you tell every doctor you ever see that you are on Nardil. And if they look confused tell them its a MAOI. Tell your dentist even. Should have nothing to worry about though.

·
Registered
520 Posts
He may have been talking about if there was a possible accident where he was left unconscious.

Because that has been a thought of mine as well. Well not really a factor in making my decision of course, it is probably my biggest worry. Especially since I'm a crazy foo adrenaline junkie. If someone gets knocked out in a motorcycle crash or skydiving or whatever the heck, it scares me that the emergency medical people wouldn't check the person's wrist or wallet before just injecting their *** with some drugs.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
If someone gets knocked out in a motorcycle crash or skydiving or whatever the heck, it scares me that the emergency medical people wouldn't check the person's wrist or wallet before just injecting their *** with some drugs.
There's always a risk of that happening, but it's a very slim one and is a risk you'd have to take when going on MAOI therapy.

I don't wear a medical bracelet. I figure if the paramedics screw up at least I'll be in an ICU where my blood pressure, heart rate, and body temperature would be consistently monitored and they would be able to quickly attend to me in case of an adverse drug reaction.

·
nardil user since 2006
339 Posts
no bracelet, or card. i figure if something bad happens to me and im about to lose consciousness soon ill somehow write "MAOI" on my arm, and if i still have time "NO DEMEROL". also if im with someone ill tell them "tell the medics im on nardil".. then pass out.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I doubt the standard opioid in emergency cases would be demerol, but morphine, fentanyl and so on... which are no problem, they just act stronger.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
As a medical person, do you think if someone on MAOIs was IVed too much opioid, there would be enough time to inject naloxone before they died? How about in a sympathomimetic overdose?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
As a medical person, do you think if someone on MAOIs was IVed too much opioid, there would be enough time to inject naloxone before they died?
The person would reveice ventilatory assistance if breathing was too slow and there would be enough time to give some naloxone iv. Also keep in mind that MAOIs would most likely not potentiate the CNS depressing effects of opioids (like downers) but just make them act "somewhat stronger".

How about in a sympathomimetic overdose?
This depends on the sympathomimetic, but doctors can always intervene with drugs if blood pressure, heart rate and rythm are getting out of control - escpecially on an ICU.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts