Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
I honestly don't know. I never threw it at my doctor. You think maybe I should stay on clomipramine until I see her? I was going to stop it today so that I can start flushing the drug out. If she doesn't prescribe it though I don't know what I'll do. My argument will be that the clomipramine is actually more dangerous because it can cause heart issues as well as be overdosed much easier.

It would annoy me because intelligent guys like us should be able to go on these drugs without doctors worrying. It's the idiots out there who think they are invincible that are the problems.
i think you should probably continue the clomipramine until the physician's appointment in the event that she doesn't prescribe the maoi.

i mean, you do have justifiable reasons for wishing to stop the medication, but as always one has to weigh the risk to benefit ratio and i don't know how far the drug is leaning in either direction for you. what's the efficacy like? if the efficacy is particularly poor, then, sure, stop the medication as it isn't doing much anyhow (if this is the case).

·
Cheesus
4,144 Posts
i think you should probably continue the clomipramine until the physician's appointment in the event that she doesn't prescribe the maoi.

i mean, you do have justifiable reasons for wishing to stop the medication, but as always one has to weigh the risk to benefit ratio and i don't know how far the drug is leaning in either direction for you. what's the efficacy like? if the efficacy is particularly poor, then, sure, stop the medication as it isn't doing much anyhow (if this is the case).
I've had some "OK" days where i'm not as depressed, but for the most part I've remained depressed and anhedonia is horrible. My focus/attention has definitely improved though. I've been on 150mg for 2 weeks now. 2 weeks on lower doses prior to that.

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
I've had some "OK" days where i'm not as depressed, but for the most part I've remained depressed and anhedonia is horrible. My focus/attention has definitely improved though. I've been on 150mg for 2 weeks now. 2 weeks on lower doses prior to that.
well, it's doing something, although it may or may not be the right medication for you - at least as a monotherapy.

had your physician mentioned any augmentation strategies prior in the event that the tca isn't efficacious enough alone?

·
Cheesus
4,144 Posts
well, it's doing something, although it may or may not be the right medication for you - at least as a monotherapy.

had your physician mentioned any augmentation strategies prior in the event that the tca isn't efficacious enough alone?
Nah other than clonidine. I thought about adding lamictal, but I mean I would expect to at least notice something by now for the depression part. Even something like Zoloft is able to show some signs of working within a 2 week period.

I can continue taking it till I see her just in case but my only problem is if she tells me I have to titrate the dose downwards which will waste even more time. I'm the type of person that will go cold turkey as it's not 'truly' cold turkey given that it's in your blood for another week or two.

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
Nah other than clonidine. I thought about adding lamictal, but I mean I would expect to at least notice something by now for the depression part. Even something like Zoloft is able to show some signs of working within a 2 week period.

I can continue taking it till I see her just in case but my only problem is if she tells me I have to titrate the dose downwards which will waste even more time. I'm the type of person that will go cold turkey as it's not 'truly' cold turkey given that it's in your blood for another week or two.
lamictal may be good for depression, although probably not at all for anhedonia.

just wrote you on clonidine.

if she says that you are able to trial nardil, tell her that you have stopped the tca even if you haven't just to get the prescription and then start some two weeks later. don't tell her what's going on with the tca until she has committed (or not) to the maoi. this may or may not work because she may immediately go to what your experiences are with the tca. hm.

·
Cheesus
4,144 Posts
lamictal may be good for depression, although probably not at all for anhedonia.

just wrote you on clonidine.

if she says that you are able to trial nardil, tell her that you have stopped the tca even if you haven't just to get the prescription and then start some two weeks later. don't tell her what's going on with the tca until she has committed (or not) to the maoi. this may or may not work because she may immediately go to what your experiences are with the tca. hm.
Yah I pm'ed you what my plan would be if I went through with it hehe.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Its a good sign that she has trialled a TCA
I'm thinking of giving Nardil a shot 2 but really not keen on the weight gain.

kehcorpz you ever thought of trying a stimulant + SSRI combo ? I want to try that before Nardil

·
Cheesus
4,144 Posts
Its a good sign that she has trialled a TCA
I'm thinking of giving Nardil a shot 2 but really not keen on the weight gain.

kehcorpz you ever thought of trying a stimulant + SSRI combo ? I want to try that before Nardil
I really don't care for the tolerance issues. And from stimulants I'd only try Ritalin as the others have been shown to be neurotoxic even in therapeutic doses. Ritalin actually shows signs of being neuroprotective. Plus in Canada apparently it's not easy to get stimulants if you're not diagnosed with ADHD. At least as of November 2011 health Canada has been pushing doctors not to prescribe off label. And if you do get it prescribed apparently they have to track you via some identification. Seems like a pain.

Anyways, I'm pretty much dead set on Nardil now hehe.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Chop, you said earlier you started to see benefits around week 8. How long did it take before it took its full effect?
It's extremely hard to say, It is dose dependent. The higher dose i take the better i feel. But around the 3 month mark i was feeling pretty great on a stable 75mg dose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Add me to the list of people who came off of Nardil and later went right back on. On day 3 of my restart...

Aren't MAOIs notorious for having rather nasty side effects? I recall my high school psych teacher mentioning that.
The side effects and the interactions are very overestimated. I enjoyed a diet of very literally anything I wanted (of course after carefully monitoring what my body could handle) and had next to no side effects -- definitely the least of any antidepressant I've tried. MAOIs have a bad rep because a slight danger does exist, a hypertensive crisis is possible due to diet or medication crossing, but it's all definitely doable. A very fair trade, if you ask me, because it works beautifully.

Props to your teacher for mentioning MAOIs at all though... I've seen doctors that I've had to spell Nardil for because they had no idea what a MAOI is!

·
Registered
544 Posts
It's extremely hard to say, It is dose dependent. The higher dose i take the better i feel. But around the 3 month mark i was feeling pretty great on a stable 75mg dose.
Thanks for the reply, im on 60mg and its the 5 weeks mark, i see alot of positive benefits but the side effects are there. Not sure if i should keep with 60mg for another two weeks to see if i see more improvement and hopefully the side effects might lessen a bit. The worst side effect is sexual side effects currently and nasty insomnia which i am gonna trazodone to see if it helps.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.