Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally took Nardil a little over a year ago for lifelong SA/dep(dysthymia). Titrated up to 75mg, (1mg/kg) w/in 5days. Within a week or two my disorders were wiped out. Nardil euphoria. Felt fixed, continued med for only 6weeks, disliked the psych, and didn't pursue meds elsewhere.

5months later, with many negative and stressful life events taking place, I slide into a very severe melancholic depression, SAD relapse, + PureOCD.

Nardil treatment
-2weeks 60mg nothing
-11weeks 75mg, slow but steady climb up into mild depression, anxiety still bothersome.
-6weeks 90mg, depression mostly wiped out 1st week. anxiety still lingering. Adjunct .5-1mg klonopin, prn.
-2weeks 105mg, stop klonopin, slight improvement in anxiety. Annoyance of side effects (weight gain, anorgasmia, insomnia, and others reemerging at new high dosage) make me try a try a week long titration down to 30mg, which quickly led to alleviation of side effects, but also poor mood. I quickly titrated back to 75mg, original kg/mg.
3 weeks at 75 now. Anxiety finally smushed.

Side effects.. 25pounds heavier, and dropping off. Just exercise and watch what you eat. Mild insomnia. All other SE's have diminished to practically nothing.

I also took cog therapy bi monthly for 4months; it helped alot.

FYI. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
even the sexual side effects? they fully gone too? This gives me hope if they are. I'm at about 3 months now on nardil and the sexual se's have faded a tad (I have been able to "finish off" a few times with great effort) but they sure are hanging on :S

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah sexual side effects normalize more or less in time. Taper dosage to 30/45mg for a few days and you might lose the SE; then go back up. See if it stays improved.

It wasn't so intensive on the homework. I was given assignments, writing down my thoughts on things, but i rarely did them. I got alot of in session help through the talking. Not CBT(i have taken some in the past cog distortions, etc), but a freestyle cog/talk therapy

·
Registered
90 Posts
I originally took Nardil a little over a year ago for lifelong SA/dep(dysthymia). Titrated up to 75mg, (1mg/kg) w/in 5days. Within a week or two my disorders were wiped out. Nardil euphoria. Felt fixed, continued med for only 6weeks, disliked the psych, and didn't pursue meds elsewhere.

5months later, with many negative and stressful life events taking place, I slide into a very severe melancholic depression, SAD relapse, + PureOCD.

Nardil treatment
-2weeks 60mg nothing
-11weeks 75mg, slow but steady climb up into mild depression, anxiety still bothersome.
-6weeks 90mg, depression mostly wiped out 1st week. anxiety still lingering. Adjunct .5-1mg klonopin, prn.
-2weeks 105mg, stop klonopin, slight improvement in anxiety. Annoyance of side effects (weight gain, anorgasmia, insomnia, and others reemerging at new high dosage) make me try a try a week long titration down to 30mg, which quickly led to alleviation of side effects, but also poor mood. I quickly titrated back to 75mg, original kg/mg.
3 weeks at 75 now. Anxiety finally smushed.

Side effects.. 25pounds heavier, and dropping off. Just exercise and watch what you eat. Mild insomnia. All other SE's have diminished to practically nothing.

I also took cog therapy bi monthly for 4months; it helped alot.

FYI. :)
Did the Nardil poop out?

The reason I asked is because I had a very similar situation. I took Nardil, when I got to 75-90mg it got rid of 90% of my anxiety eventually going into hypomania...4 or 5 months later it pooped out and I was on it for a total of 8 months.

I was off for a month or two and tried it again...it didn't work. This was over 18 months ago. So, I'm wondering if you think restarting the drug after taking alot of time off makes it work again??

At this point, my doctor thinks Nardil is the devil since it made me go hypomanic. However it was the only thing, medication-wise...that ever worked that well...and thats trying over 25 medications. It also eliminated treatment resistant depression too

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No poopout.
That's one idea. How long was the 2nd trial? Was there any improvement at all? The first time I was on Nardil it just kicked in fast. The second time was much more gradual and time consuming. Of course, I was way more depressed beginning the 2nd trial.

If you start going hypomanic, lower the dosage to 60.

·
Registered
90 Posts
No poopout.
That's one idea. How long was the 2nd trial? Was there any improvement at all? The first time I was on Nardil it just kicked in fast. The second time was much more gradual and time consuming. Of course, I was way more depressed beginning the 2nd trial.

If you start going hypomanic, lower the dosage to 60.
The 2nd trial was long enough to determine, definitely.

I would be perfectly comfortable taking Nardil for half the year, having it poop out and then restarting it again 6 months later...*if* it worked. The hypomania is scary though, you start believing you are more important than you really are. Still though, I was always aware that I was hypomanic and that I was thinking crazily.

There was a poster on something called Psychobabble(a site kind of like this, but for a wide spectrum of mental health problems, rather than just social anxiety) named Ace. He was(and probably still is)hypomanic on Nardil. He makes motivational speakers seem drab by comparison. Constant Euphoria really isn't too good of a thing!

Glad the word about Nardil is getting out among people with anxiety. I tried 25+ meds and ECT most of them did virtually nothing, but Nardil worked. The studies do show 65% of people with Social Anxiety benefit from it significantly. 2 out of 3 is pretty good odds, but alot of people are uneducated about it, so they never get the opportunity.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Glad the word about Nardil is getting out among people with anxiety. I tried 25+ meds and ECT most of them did virtually nothing, but Nardil worked. The studies do show 65% of people with Social Anxiety benefit from it significantly. 2 out of 3 is pretty good odds, but alot of people are uneducated about it, so they never get the opportunity."

Yeah, you're right. Have you tried Parnate?
Yeah I've read all of Ace's posts, lol. He's funny, and yeah, often hypomanic. :p

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nardil was not the right drug for me .It made me irritable,arrogant,argumentive,bad sexual side effects.I guess one positive was that it did open some doors for me in regards to meeting women [I still get calls from women I made a move on while under the influence of Nardil]but it wasn't worth it.Meditation is the best anxiety relief I have ever come across.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Often when side-effects diminish, so do actual effects. It could be due to the drug being cleared more efficiently, downregulation of neurotransmitter biosynthesis, receptor changes, or many other reasons. Homeostasis is a powerful thing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experince of Nardil. I am thinking about trying an MAOI and it is always good to get feedback on them since they are not prescribed as much anymore.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience, and I hope the med keeps working for you.

As for Ace: Yeah he was often hypomanic, lol. What happened to the guy? Is he still on Nardil? I seem to remember him posting about it pooping out, but maybe Ace made a comeback.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts