Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one confirm that this is a safe combo (nardil and Nortriptyline). Ken Gillman told me they were both compatible, but I want to run it by others before I go on the combo.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
Yes, just fine and possibly very helpful for depression!

Side note: Adding a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (like a TCA) actually improves safety by reducing food interaction issues ("cheese effect"). It blocks uptake of the tyramine. Something like that.

Another good NRI to add is desipramine.

Your pharmacist's computer might say otherwise. Just a heads up.

·
Registered
352 Posts
no it is not safe.
nardil is a mao inhibitor and it should not be combined with any other antidepressant.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Yes, just fine and possibly very helpful for depression!

Side note: Adding a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (like a TCA) actually improves safety by reducing food interaction issues ("cheese effect"). It blocks uptake of the tyramine. Something like that.

Another good NRI to add is desipramine.

Your pharmacist's computer might say otherwise. Just a heads up.
Think Stahl writes about it in his book,Neuropshychopharmacology, about NRI and the NET inhibition. If you are bored sometime! :D

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
no it is not safe.
nardil is a mao inhibitor and it should not be combined with any other antidepressant.
You have to watch for serotonin reuptake inhibition.

However, many antidepressants work primarily on norepinephrine and/or dopamine and/or serotonin receptor antagonism. These are often ok. Norepinephrine releasers are trickier (ie amphetamine) but also possible with care.

Nortryptiline is mainly an NRI.
http://stahlonline.cambridge.org/pr...peutics&name=Nortriptyline&title=Therapeutics

1 - 6 of 6 Posts