Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading through the side effects of nardil, and noticed that they included urinary retention, constipation, dry mouth and blurred vision, so I was wondering, does it have prominent anticholinergic properties?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I know for sure some serotonin and dopamine receptors inhibit acetylcholine (Nardil obviously increases activation of both), plus Nardil increases GABA which exerts powerful inhibitory effects on acetylcholine release. So my answer: yes, Nardil is anticholinergic, but I've never heard anything about it directly blocking cholinergic receptors.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know for sure some serotonin and dopamine receptors inhibit acetylcholine (Nardil obviously increases activation of both), plus Nardil increases GABA which exerts powerful inhibitory effects on acetylcholine release. So my answer: yes, Nardil is anticholinergic, but I've never heard anything about it directly blocking cholinergic receptors.
That's interesting, although its odd to hear that increasing GABA exerts powerful inhibitory effects on acetylcholine release, because Klonopin always makes me salivate alot more than usual, (as opposed to less which would be the expected in the case if it inhibits acetylcholine release) and I've read many reports of this increased salivation happening to other klonopin users too. Can anyone explain this phenomenon to me?

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
It inhibits acetylcholine release in at least some areas of the brain, that's all I know. The pattern of inhibition is probably different to a direct anticholinergic drug. Plus, benzos have other effects via GABA(A) that contribute to observed effects.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts