Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I for one consider myself to be an individual who had very bad SA and overcame it through some "methods of mind-alteration" however predominantly from making a great deal of sacrifices. Having overcome most of my SA I have noticed that ive grown to be fairly narcissistic, maybe because I did it all on my own with no help with nobody ever knowing what was wrong with me.

I guess its a sense of self-pride feeling as though I accomplished the impossible because SA really crippled me for most of my life, I never truly believed that I could overcome it.

I dont hate being narcissitic because I keep that aspect of my character to myself.

...does anybody here relate with me?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I agree with Breakfast of Champions I don't think your narcissistic if you have a great pride or respect for yourself because you overcame SA without help. Could you maybe give some examples why you think your narcisstic?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info on NPD breakfastofchampions, I did not have a full understanding on what it actually was.

If you were proud of yourself and then put other SA sufferers down and expected them to do the same thing you did to overcome SA - thinking that your way was the only and 'right' way - this would be characteristic of narcissism, because it would be completely lacking in empathy and understanding that people are different and have different needs.
Yeah I am not like that in the slightest, overcoming most of my SA, makes me a bit more functional (though I still have many problems due to my ADHD) I guess in the past I would not even have made the effort to join this forum. I greatly empathazie with people who have SA because I feel it is a disorder that very few people seem to understand. I think everybody has their own path to overcoming SA...or atleast a different one then mine. I say this because I know I am a fairly different from your average person, which is probably the reason why I have so much self-pride.. if any of that makes sense.

I am familiar with people who have the real NPD, and I do view that as more of a disorder, and you are right these people do only care about themselves... though my self-love does seem to be atleast equal to theirs.

I dont know maybe if I didnt care about people I would have NPD, I guess im lucky that making people happy makes me happy :)

being that it does not bring me or people around me down, I realize that it is not a disorder.

Could you maybe give some examples why you think your narcisstic?
The only reason that I feel narcissistic is because of the immense amount of self-pride, but I dunno maybe im just not use to having it. I had very low self-esteem when I was younger and did hate who I was despite always coming across as fairly normal. I was very reclusive, never got picked on but was just that guy not many people knew.
I do not think I am better then anybody..though it is much more complex then that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts