Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course there are a lot of negative qualities attributed with social anxiety, but let's list some its positives effects.

1) I've always been at the top of my class in high school and college, because I have no life and only study.
2) I know who my true friends are. So I value my friendships and am loyal as a result.
3) I work very hard at whatever I do, because I'm so self-conscious of failing, and sadly, because I'm so eager to please people. So at my workplace, even though I'm probably considered to be a social pariah, I've always gotten the fastest promotions.

Of course social anxiety is horrible and I'd rather not have it at all, but sometimes its nice to shed some light on what it has given you, rather than taken away. What are some of yours?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Because of SA, I grew up among/was raised by some of the most open-minded people on the internet. I learned by watching from a distance and developed morals that actually have meaning, and discarded popular ones that don't.

I would say SA has kept me from being unsafe, but without it, I probably would never have done the hard drugs that I've done or in the amounts that I have =\. Oh, wait.. I'm venturing into the negative here lol.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I don't have any problems with people. By that I mean.. no major drama in my life.
I've always done very well in school like yourself because it was something I could be proud of and because I really had no social life so therefore there was no excuse for me.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like this thread.

Positive results of my SA:

1. I do very well in school since I have no social life.

2. I'm open-minded and sympathetic with other people's problems and situations.

3. Since I'm so sensitive, I can sense who's a sincere person and who's not.

4. I have not dabbled in alcohol, drugs, or smoking. I have too many SA issues to deal with. There's no point in adding any more problems to my life.

5. I'm a kind person.

·
Poster of Random Nothings
47 Posts
I've had very little major drama. Especially in relationships. Couple years ago, this girl was hanging out with me, but I was too shy to get truly intimate with her. The guy that she was seeing right after me, I knew. He said that she basically robbed his ***. He helped pay for a bunch of her school and stuff, and when she left him she took like 800 dollars worth of stuff from his apartment. Dodged that bullet. :)

Also, I didn't get into much trouble. I'm dedicated to my friends, and am extremely loyal.

I think that being so sensitive makes me immune to most charmers. I take nothing at face value, so I avoid being used (even to the detriment of social experiences, so it's a double-edged sword.)

·
Registered
298 Posts
1) I've always been at the top of my class in high school and college, because I have no life and only study.

3) I work very hard at whatever I do, because I'm so self-conscious of failing, and sadly, because I'm so eager to please people.
i've always been a terrible student and a terrible employee.

·
Registered
296 Posts
There were a couple times in class where I was going to raise my hand but didn't. Turns out my answers were incorrect. Woot. Saved some embarassment there.

I am very attuned and perceptive to how other people feel.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I definitely notice some unique and interesting values derived from the posts above, but the best thing for me is being able to understand and help others.

And to rapidly analyze the intentions of others. Intentions appear to be a fundamental aspect of equity in common law, and that relationship opened up a new career option rather surprisingly.

I like highly structured and intellectual environments, and with the right amount of Victorian protocol to make it an interesting exercise of imagination. That makes life very fulfilling. Of course, some other people might say it is a boring one, which is why they can burn in hell. I have no interest in anarchy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I am much more empathetic than i used to be, before my SA got bad.

I also, as others stated, see through bull**** because i am both highly sensitive, i take nothing at face value, and am brilliant due to isolation+books :D

I also tend to, when i actually interact with people, cut through the **** and drama that so many people are addicted to. I mean, i believe in cutting to the chase (as long as the meandering towards the point is not enjoyable).

I don't take talking as for granted as many people do. I place more emphasis on what I say, and don't just spew words like a leaky faucet :).

This is really nice to read all of the positive things that come out of SA too.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm pretty good at telling when other people are mad or upset and what they are upset about. Unless they're talking *to me* and then all my attention is on my own behavior.

Although lots of times I get distracted by my own thoughts and miss half the conversation and have no idea what's going on.... But... to turn that into a good thing.... I lead a rich inner life!

·
Registered
2 Posts
It has prevented me from getting an STD.
Heh heh. I like it!

What SAD has given me:
I'm more empathetic and understanding of people

I've given my wife a husband that want's to please her. (Keep it clean people !!)

I only have friends that are good rather than total dorks (actually by my standard I don't have friends apart from my wife. But I know that there are really good people that like me... no,maybe even love me(?).

I've done very well in my job because I can't abide failure.

It's given me a high alcohol tolerance so can down more good wine than the average bloke...

·
Banned
497 Posts
i have to admit that SA has been a blessing in discguise for me and i am truly grateful for it cos so much good has come from it. i wouldnt change my past for the world

from my birth to the age of 23 my life was non existant. it was meaningless and unfullfilling

missing out on those 23 years of life has given me the drive to :

1)be the best person i can possibly be
2)make a difference to this world
3)help other people
4)live the life of my dreams

if you look at most people they never achieve any of those 4 things. not many people fulfill their potential and become the best they can be. most people are just normal, average , mediocre people.

hardly anyone makes a difference in this world. most people never do anything significant that alters history or improves the world. most people live for 75 years and then die and vanish from existeance never to be remember again cos they were insignificant , they never did anything worthy enough for anyone to remmeber them

not many people live their life twith the intention of helping other people. their life is all about them , whats in it for me.
i actually care about total strangers lives ALMOST as much as i do my own . and there arent many people like that int his world

not many people live a dream life. most people live medicre lives

if you overcome SA then SA becomes a blessing cos your life will be a million times better than it ever could have been without having sa int he first place.

if you dont overcome sa then im afraid not much good comes out of it cos its just a waste of life

·
Registered
113 Posts
ummmmm :um no drawing a blank.

I did fairly well in school - but would have done a lot better had i not been so scared all the time so i could have relaxed and taken more in plus actually asked questioned/quizzed the teacher about the million things i wanted to know.

I don't think being sensitive, caring, kind are good points from my SA..they are the character traits i think that have caused me to suffer like this....combined with growing up experiences......

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Of course there are a lot of negative qualities attributed with social anxiety, but let's list some its positives effects.

2) I know who my true friends are. So I value my friendships and am loyal as a result.
3) I work very hard at whatever I do, because I'm so self-conscious of failing, and sadly, because I'm so eager to please people. So at my workplace, even though I'm probably considered to be a social pariah, I've always gotten the fastest promotions.

Of course social anxiety is horrible and I'd rather not have it at all, but sometimes its nice to shed some light on what it has given you, rather than taken away. What are some of yours?
wow that's a good list. I personally can't come up with any positives. I'm dumb as a rock and really lazy. Social anxiety has also made me really weak, and people have taken advantage of me. Perhaps the only positive is being nice and honest, but a lot of times I feel like a *****.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
- I do well academically and work to the best of my ability on assignments/essays/presentations
- I have very few arguments/conflicts with people because I avoid confrontation at all costs
- Empathic towards people with mental illness or psychological problems
- I usually go out alone, so I can choose whatever shops I want to go in and not have to please other people and do what they want lol
- I save my money because I don't go out that often with people my age who usually spend lots of money on alcohol, dinners out, nightclubs etc.
- this is a bit of a strange one.. but I think I'm more creative and tend to be quite a lateral thinker- I've lived a life different from most people, it's like I'm not part of the normal world, I'm on the outside looking in, so I percieve things and notice things that other people might not

1 - 20 of 27 Posts